VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

I am the proud owner of a 2005 Transporter with an AXD 2.5l engine. Its done just over 200k of enjoyable miles.

The thing is for a while now I have become ever more aware of the noise the engine makes when driving it, I can only describe it as a noise somewhere between diesel generator and steam engine. Its starting to make me think that there might be something wrong with it? I am noticing other Transporters elegantly glide along the road while mine sounds like its chewing up the road as it grinds its way to the various destinations of my choosing.

To date, I have taken it to two separate local garages asking if they could give the engine a 'once over' but both have come back to me saying "that's normal for that type of engine". This is leading to me asking myself some questions...

1. If this is 'normal' for an AXD engine then why are they so much more rattly than other types?
2. I don't know how much I trust garages, after all a short while ago I took the van into a garage to get the tracking adjusted. When I got it back the steering wheel wasn't straight so when I quizzed it they said to me "its an old van, you wont get it any better than that".
3. How can I put my mind to rest about this and move on / get it sorted? Its making me paranoid thinking people are turning their heads when I drive past thinking an aircraft is about to land on them or something.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Julia :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't take it to any old mechanic, Look through the forum or ask the other members for advice on a good and trusted VW mechanic in your area. They are out there. Not all mechanics are full of £"!t.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi lads where can i buy 2 stroke(EBAY) for the T5 2.5 and where do you put it in ? with the Oil or in the Diesel tank :confused:

Dont know wich one to buy :(

Greetz Deki :ILU:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the replies so far guys. The links to the 2 stroke oil is very interesting, I might try that one out.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Folks.

Just to keep those who are interested informed things have changed a bit recently regarding my engine.

I used the 2 stroke oil for a while and it really does make a difference for the better! Unfortunately though my engine started to make that pulsing noise through the air filter which seems to be a sign the cam and followers have past their best by date. The thing is it doesn't seem as clear cut as I would like, this is what happens....

On initial startup when cold or if the engine hasn't been run for about 1+ hours it makes that pulsing noise but only for about 2-5 seconds and then it goes. The confusing thing to me though is once the engine is warm and its been running for a short while it seems to now be running as smooth and quiet as it has ever been, even better than before the pulsing noises started.

My tamed mechanic guy is now suggesting he flushes the engine and refreshes the oil first instead of looking into (and saving up for!) a cam and followers change (he is quoting 2.5 days to do it although no price yet). I last changed the oil in April this year and only use the 601 VW oil.

Has anyone got any thoughts / suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,380 Posts
What exactly is the rationale behind an engine oil "flush"? To my way of thinking, any wear particles should either be carried away into the filter/sump by the existing engine oil, or they will drop into crevices higher up in the engine. Personally I can't see any reason why the latter should not just stay where they are.

If you've done more than, say, 5k miles since April I can understand why you might want to do an oil/filter change but I can't see why you would choose to flush the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Hello Folks.

Just to keep those who are interested informed things have changed a bit recently regarding my engine.

I used the 2 stroke oil for a while and it really does make a difference for the better! Unfortunately though my engine started to make that pulsing noise through the air filter which seems to be a sign the cam and followers have past their best by date. The thing is it doesn't seem as clear cut as I would like, this is what happens....

On initial startup when cold or if the engine hasn't been run for about 1+ hours it makes that pulsing noise but only for about 2-5 seconds and then it goes. The confusing thing to me though is once the engine is warm and its been running for a short while it seems to now be running as smooth and quiet as it has ever been, even better than before the pulsing noises started.

My tamed mechanic guy is now suggesting he flushes the engine and refreshes the oil first instead of looking into (and saving up for!) a cam and followers change (he is quoting 2.5 days to do it although no price yet). I last changed the oil in April this year and only use the 601 VW oil.

Has anyone got any thoughts / suggestions?

Thank you.

It will take no more than a day to change the cam and followers, unless your mechanic has done the job before and has the correct locking tools for this engine I would go to someone else because they are quite a unique engine to set up correctly.
Engine flush will do nothing to help as your followers are probably worn:-

These are the special tools you need and the job can't be done without them:-
http://www.ccw-tools.com/uploads/images_products/PDF/Instructions/VS5035.pdf

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello :)

Just to keep this thread up to date the van has developed a thumping now just like in Martins video. I have now got a replacement cam kit from LEC and its booked into a garage to be replaced this comming Thursday.

The power of this forum is awesome and I have really appreciated the replies I have had to this thread.

Fingers crossed it all works out well.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Make sure that they have the correct kit to lock the cam & set up the "backlash" in the gears - very critical with these engines.

Hope it all gets sorted.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Brian.

Yes, I had a good chat with the mechanic that will be doing the work and he is borrowing the tools, he has done one before on this type of engine so I am confident he knows what he is doing.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Thank you Brian.

Yes, I had a good chat with the mechanic that will be doing the work and he is borrowing the tools, he has done one before on this type of engine so I am confident he knows what he is doing.

There is a good write up here how to set the cams if his tools don't come with one:-
http://www.ccw-tools.com/uploads/images_products/PDF/Instructions/VS5035.pdf

I got my cam kit from LEC, it's the same Estas/GT Automotive billet cam that Darkside and AW Enhineeting sell but they are not as greedy on the price.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello.

Just to close this off below are some pictures I took of my old camshaft and followers. The garage took 2.5 days in the end to replace the camshaft, mainly because of some incorrect parts delivered. The total bill came to just under £1100.

Apologies for the image orientation, I cant work out how to correct it. Hopefully you can see the damage done to the old camshaft and followers though, some of the cam lobes don't look very lobey anymore! The van has done just under 210k miles so I cant really complain about it.

The van is now once again quiet (as quiet as an AXD engine can get) and great to drive. I'm enjoying it again now.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Glad you got it sorted and at a fair price, I had similar prices when I priced mine up.
I did however borrow the timing tools from Festa but I still paid out about £600 in parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts