VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

RCD & MCB v RCBO

388 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  triffic 
#1 ·
As I cant' find any recent posts ....

Most (if not all) EHU I have read about consist of an RCD and 2 x DP MCBs. Now I'm stuck for space and only have room for a consumer unit with RCD + 1 x DP MCB.

Is a viable alternative 2 x DP RCBO's? I can't find a definitive answer whether a DP RCBO diconnects both poles on leakage fault only or if it also disconnects both L+N on over current?

If RCBO's are an alternative does anyone know of a suitable consumer unit? I need to check dimensions before specifying for my EHU.

Does anyone know of a polarity tester that can be plugged into the EHU post, so test before I connect to the van?

Thanks

#2 ·
As I understand it, the setup used in professional power distribution systems such as those made by Sargent is one RCD plus as many "1P+N" MCBs as you need consumer circuits. This is the configuration used in my Sargent EC328, which is a system that is still in production.

That type of MCB should only be one unit wide, which is how they manage to fit the circuits into minimum space. It is more compact than a 2P MCB because over-current is only detected on the live pole but, when tripped, both poles are broken.

#3 ·
Thanks Triffic,

I've noticed Upspex and others supply double pole MCBs in their consumer units, as you say others still use single pole. The regs call for double pole so that the Neutral is also disconnected ... must be open to interpretation somewhere as I've also seen a unit with an RCD, 1 RCBO and 3 (1P+ N) MCBs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.