VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I have a SWB T4 'kombi' van with Caravelle interior plastics and panels. The roof panel was damaged by a motocross bike handlebar by a previous owner. The panel is contoured to the upper panels (especially so at the rear) so I want to reuse it.

The puncture in the roof has been repaired, a combination of MDF and aluminium tape. The roof panel comes in two parts, can and rear. The issue now is how to re cover them. I've considered:

1) Use megastretch or similar. It's thickness (4mm) may prevent the upper panels from being refitted?
2) Leatherette/faux leather but can't find it in rolls wide enough!?
3) Use scrim foam to form a thin layer and 'hide' the repair and then cover with cloth of choice.

I'm open to other suggestions or advice!?

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used megavan mats megastretch on the roof panels of my t5 and they fit back up no problem. Only thing i needed was longer clips for the plastic trims that go accross the roof (i used fir tree trim clips) Its all still up there and looking great..

Im currently carpeting out my t4 and doing the same to that too. Highly reccomend it. Its realy hard wearing stuff too so should last ages.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I obviously didn't look far enough - the first few places I checked did the faux leather it only came in 1m width.

My concern about using carpet is it's thickness. I'm concerned the Caravelle panels will not reattach to the 'roof' clips on the edges with a carpet covered roof panel in place.

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found them! Ordering some quilted faux leather....will look like a pimps lounge but I don't care! Haha!

Thanks again folks!
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts