VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, can anyone tell me if there is any way you can tell if a van has been re-mapped before you've brought it?? pointless asking previous owner as he only had van 6 months and didnt even know the van had locking wheel nuts so asking him about engine mods is, i fear, a no go LOL:

The reason I ask is I was going down A55 earlier in one of the few places I know there isnt any cameras or places for mr plod to wait up and decided to put foot down and see what she could do :) I tend to drive very light footed for fear of to many trips to local petrol station but the van needed a bit of a blast I:

Best i dont put down in public forum the speed i got up to I:I: but all I can say is at 70 i dropped it down to 4th and it pulled like no other van i've driven!! and didnt stop pulling (hard) through 5th and then 6th, i eventually had to back off as ran out of safe road.

Just want to know if there are any tell tell signs that somethings been done to it short of taking it to rolling road or alike

Rob T:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
It's a six speed then it's defo a 2.5 but is it the 130 or 174?

As far as I'm aware without any paper work proving the remap then it's down to sticking it on a dyno

I'm happy to be proved wrong though:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a six speed then it's defo a 2.5 but is it the 130 or 174?

As far as I'm aware without any paper work proving the remap then it's down to sticking it on a dyno

I'm happy to be proved wrong though:D
Sorry should have said its 130 2.5 T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Buddy
I own a 04 2.5 130 too, I havent had a chance for a re-map yet as Ive spent all my cash making it nicer on the eye. I'd honestly say I think your explanation of how it drives says it all. I hardly carry any weight apart from my own fat ass, but the van never seems to pull even at full boost which is very short lived. Dont get me wrong it will cruise happily enough on the motorway all day at 90, but it takes forever to get there and dropping into 4th at 70, the boost doesnt have much at all to give!
Of course I couldnt put any money on it as I'm heavy footed and with you saying your not... Yes the guys are right the dyno is the only way to be sure, but I drove my m8's t5 the 174 and its like driving a totally different machine and pretty much as you described your to be.
Try finding someone with a standard 130 or someone with a 174, beg them for a quick blast and within seconds you'll know either way.

Cheers
Stu;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like it has had a map to me, when I bought mine it had not been done, it was a bit flat to be honest, now mine has 186 bhp and it flies. Even 6 up, with luggage and caravelle interior it was happily pulling up hills in 6th and in fact accelerating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts