VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am getting my van re-sprayed for a damn good price, my only problem is where to source the primer, 2pac & lacquer. The guy who is spraying the van has asked me to get-

5 litres of primer
5 litres of 2pac base paint (LB9A CANDY WHITE)
3 litres of lacquer

does this sound about right for the quantities needed?

does anyone know where I can source the paint at a reasonable price?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
If your using 2k paint and you know what your doing you dont need to laquer it after..

Dont wanna pee on your bonfire mate but you get what you pay for and if this guys gonna do or wants to do a proper job he would order the stuff himself dont you think? :*

Sorry i wouldnt know anywhere local for you to source the paint.

I may well have the wrong end of the stick so good luck if you go for it :ILU:

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Yeah, why can;t your man get the paint? All the paint dudes I know like what they like when it comes to gear and consumables...? The cynic in me (and it is a big one ;)) might think that he's getting his "blaming the finish on the paint you bought him" excuse ready, after banking your hard-earned, tax free...?! I:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy who's spraying the van doesn't do this as a full time job so yes I am taking a bit of a risk. So I take it the lacquer is not needed (as I know nothing about spraying myself).

any idea on what price I would be looking at without the lacquer?:*

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, why can;t your man get the paint? All the paint dudes I know like what they like when it comes to gear and consumables...? The cynic in me (and it is a big one ;)) might think that he's getting his "blaming the finish on the paint you bought him" excuse ready, after banking your hard-earned, tax free...?! I:

Fair comment - but like I have said this is not his full time job. I have seen 1 car that he's sprayed and it does look great, for the money its going to cost me I am willing to take the risk. Do you think that the quantities he has asked for are about right & have you any idea where the best place would be to get the paint from?;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mate, what colour are you painting it? If you are going for a metallic/pearl type colour then its gonna be a base coat then clearcoats. If you are having a straight colour with no added effects (ie pearls and metallics) then you only need the paint in 2k. I currently use U-Pol lacquer, its reasonably priced and gives a good finish. Its scratch resistant and therefore needs any polishing doing the next day,
cheers
john

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John,

I want to get it painted in LB9A CANDY WHITE, I just want a straight colour with no added effects.

So going by what I want above all I need is

5 litre of the 2k paint required + lacquer is this correct?

How much would you expect to pay for 3 litres of U-Pol lacquer?

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
If its going in candy white i'd use a clear coat/laquer on top. Not sure of anyone local in stoke but jawel paints have a few stores based around the midlands (also advertised on ebay). I used to work for them and can say they supply quality goods T:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If its going in candy white i'd use a clear coat/laquer on top. Not sure of anyone local in stoke but jawel paints have a few stores based around the midlands (also advertised on ebay). I used to work for them and can say they supply quality goods T:
Hi R1tch, I have just had a look at the jawel website any ideas what I need to order? As you can probably tell I havent a clue about what paints/lacquer to buy:*

Thanks

·
Banned
300 Posts
totaly agree unless your man has no idea at about paint hence asking you to get it then i would stay clear no matter how good the price and yes i have painted fair few t4,s

solid colour

3lt high build primer
5lt of standard thinners some for cleaning guns etc
depending on primer the relevent amount of hardner .

5lt paint choice of colour
depending on paint you will need 5lt high gloss thinners
2.5lt hardner depending on location

if you wish to throw clear on top then do so if coluer you choose is just base then you will need clear .

plenty of tack rags and panel whipe and by sounds of your man fair few tins of body filler .

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
totaly agree unless your man has no idea at about paint hence asking you to get it then i would stay clear no matter how good the price and yes i have painted fair few t4,s

solid colour

3lt high build primer
5lt of standard thinners some for cleaning guns etc
depending on primer the relevent amount of hardner .

5lt paint choice of colour
depending on paint you will need 5lt high gloss thinners
2.5lt hardner depending on location

if you wish to throw clear on top then do so if coluer you choose is just base then you will need clear .

plenty of tack rags and panel whipe and by sounds of your man fair few tins of body filler .
Thanks for the info I will keep the post updatedT:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts