VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a T4 Westfalia 2.4 so well loaded down with weight of fittings family and dogs being the aero dynamic brick it is i was never exspecting it to out perform my motorbikes but i think it wouldnt take much for a decent cyclist to out do me :)
i did a spirited not van destroying run and was surprised at how low it was 0-60 was 34 seconds i am in the process of looking into turbos intercoolers ect so i am interested to know what sort of figures you have from your and what mods.just as comparison my honda civic does a spirited 0-60 in 12 seconds nothing amazing but almost three times quicker.

Regards DHB

·
Registered
336 Posts
my bet is if the civic weighed the same as the t4 it would be a lot slower than 12,
and if the t4 weighed the same as the civic it would be around the 14/5 sec mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
you got it to 60????? A:

I haven't timed my T4 2.4D, but I would say its faster than 34 seconds, its much slower than my golf R, but it is more economical

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I would have to go quite a long way to find a road near me I could do 60 on!

I suppose I could try the M25 LOL: LOL:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got a 1.9tdi camper, no idea what it'll sprint to 60 in and I don't want to time it, it'd be a depressing number to know. It keeps up with traffic, will cruise all day long at 70 (5th gear mod is the best single thing I've done to it so far) and doesn't struggle with hills, I am a happy man.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
"and doesn't struggle with hills"
not sure where you are in Staffs, but one of the worst short hills on any main road we've found is the A53 to Buxton out of Leek by Upper Hulme, it's a b*gger

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm near Cannock. Not much in the way of hills here but I took the van to Cornwall in August and didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Think the guys just looking for comparison figures to see if his van is running ok and what benefit he may get from any mods, a reasonable question, i feel his pain, my 2.4 frightened me on occasion trying to pull out into traffic flow, my mate has turboed his 2.4, still no racing car but more capable and i think, i lot safer on todays roads and a more relaxed drive.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,047 Posts
If it is to get a comparative feeling ....
Mine is a 1.9TD SWB "Special". With internal conversion, weighs in just over the 2 tonnes. No engine mods except EGR blank and SS Exhaust with decay.
Not done a 0-60 time ever but she is fairly spritely and more so then I expect always. I am often having to overtake cars in the country roads round here and that action is not too scary (lots of slow drivers pootling at 50 on the clear straight roads).
And even when loaded and towing, so train weight more like 3 tonnes, still goes up hills (lots of them here!) no problems.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
my 2.4 frightened me on occasion trying to pull out into traffic flow, my mate has turboed his 2.4, still no racing car but more capable and i think, i lot safer on todays roads and a more relaxed drive.
Thats pretty much my experience of the 2.4, a mate had a fully converted LWB high-top, lovely van but dangerously slow. You had to really plan pulling out of junctions and stuff and in quite a few places you wouldn't have it up to speed before someone came around a blind corner.

Some time later he had the pump rebuilt for about £120 (because it got to the point where it wouldnt run), transformed it, still slow as heck, but maybe not actually dangerous. I never drove it after the rebuild, but the missus did and said it was loads better.

So....if you have have a diesel that has no record of the injectors being rebuilt and has issues starting or smokes, get the injectors done and maybe get the pump done, might help. Or just throw in an engine with more power :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thats pretty much my experience of the 2.4, a mate had a fully converted LWB high-top, lovely van but dangerously slow. You had to really plan pulling out of junctions and stuff and in quite a few places you wouldn't have it up to speed before someone came around a blind corner.

Some time later he had the pump rebuilt for about £120 (because it got to the point where it wouldnt run), transformed it, still slow as heck, but maybe not actually dangerous. I never drove it after the rebuild, but the missus did and said it was loads better.

So....if you have have a diesel that has no record of the injectors being rebuilt and has issues starting or smokes, get the injectors done and maybe get the pump done, might help. Or just throw in an engine with more power :)
Good point mate, my 2.5 on 140,00 smokes like hell, looking at new injectors soon. Bit off subject but my old nissan terrano improved my 10 mph by changing the fuel filter, so good service and pump timing on this 2.4 perhaps before a turbo?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Slack in the throttle cable and incorrect injection pump timing will destroy any acceleration the 2.4D can deliver, this is absolutely guaranteed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just timed mine today (twice for good measure) and it does 0-60 in just under 20 seconds. I knew it was sprightly for a 2.4 after hearing most people say they're dangerously slow?? I pretty much never get overtaken or 'pushed along' by cars on the A and B roads I use. If they do, theyre breaking the speed limit ;). However mine only has lightweight ply cupboards, smev hob/sink/, gas bottle, no fridge, swb low top...the only weighty thing in it is the r&r bed...and me. I've worked out it weighs about 1800kg when not carrying extra stuff. Gross weight 2800kg as a 1200kg payload van. It's got a decat exhaust too (AAB don't have a cat anyway but AJA do) I think that gives it more va va voom. :) I've filled it with about 600kg of wood briquettes before and it still pulled really well. It has the low geared gearbox (ex commercial van), maybe that makes a difference?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts