VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having major problems starting my 1.9 abl engine first thing . It's more of an issue on a hill facing upwards. I was having a look today and the yellow pipe that goes from the fuel filter to the injector has a slight split by the base , Could this be the issue ? . Also it's standard fuel pipe that it sticks into , can I use the 4mm braided type ? . Sorry for stupid question but I don't understand fuel systems .

Andy

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I had a similar issue on my old car. The hose had a split and was letting air in causing fuel to return to the tank. Hence being harder to start.

I replaced hose with some fuel hose and jubilee clips to sort the problem.

It's the internal diameter of the pipe you need to check before ordering new hoses.

Jas

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I'm no expert mate but it could be your injector seals. Fuel runs back to the tank if as you say sat on an incline. Please don't go and change these with a proper test! Just trying to throw something the mix and bump your post.

I hope you get it fixed buddy.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I would suggest visiting a garage and paying for rectification and repair.

Any visible damage to fuel hoses is immediate cause for concern, and fuel systems arent exactly amateur territory even for DIY enthusiasts.

If I had to guess it sounds like air is bleeding into the system.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,389 Posts
I would suggest visiting a garage and paying for rectification and repair.

Any visible damage to fuel hoses is immediate cause for concern, and fuel systems arent exactly amateur territory even for DIY enthusiasts.

If I had to guess it sounds like air is bleeding into the system.
Are you really saying that it's beyond a simple-minded T4 owner to replace a few rubber pipes?
FFS...it's the 1st thing people say to change, and people do it in Halfords carpark!

Andy, as Steve says....just get 1m of that and replace each length with the same.....
30 min job at most, and that's one thing you know it ain't !

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you really saying that it's beyond a simple-minded T4 owner to replace a few rubber pipes?
FFS...it's the 1st thing people say to change, and people do it in Halfords carpark!

Andy, as Steve says....just get 1m of that and replace each length with the same.....
30 min job at most, and that's one thing you know it ain't !
Cheers for that . One question the pipe between 3 and 4 looks tight, can I lengthen this slightly ? .

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
As I said, Im not overly familiar with the T4 engines, and I wasnt sure if he meant the leak off pipes or the feed pipes. Plus you get high pressure in some fuel systems, and if you get airlocks in the system then you get starting problems.

If its based on the older VE pump type engines then its entirely possible to get non start problems if air gets into the system and the pump.

A friend ran my old AFN dry years ago, a VE pump engine, and it ended up in a garage who even had trouble bleeding the fuel system and getting it to start again.

All I was suggesting is err on the side of caution so pull yer neck in. T:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd guess its been trimmed before so yes is the answer, you are looking to create a smooth loop of pipe. ie no kinks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
After you've changed those pipes you will get air into the system.

I used easy start sprayed into the inlet pipe to start as its unlikely to start off diesel as it needs to pull all the air through the system.
The old diesels used to have a bulb to squeeze to help bleed the system.
If you look at the clear pipe you will see the air bubbles being pulled through.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I am finally going to change the pipes in the morning . Does the yellow pipe pull off the fuel pipe or is this all in one ? . Had a look and this is a 4mm pipe instead of the 3.2 mm so I was wondering if it's not tight enough on injector 4 .

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts