VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been browsing the site for a few months trying to decide what type of T4 camper conversion to buy. I need a pop top ideally with heating. My eye has been caught by Autosleeper Troopers, T4 Westfalia and Holdsworth conversions.

Despite checking eBay every two minutes there seems to be very few of the above coming on to the market and those that do appear seem very expensive. Am I really going to have to pay £15-16K for a 15 year old Trooper or Westfalia or am I looking in the wrong place?

I guess I also need advice on whether there's another option I've not considered at this price point. I'm a VW lover (currently have a T2 Westfalia, Polo and UP) but might even consider non-VW.

Thanks for any advice

Colin

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hi

I've been browsing the site for a few months trying to decide what type of T4 camper conversion to buy. I need a pop top ideally with heating. My eye has been caught by Autosleeper Troopers, T4 Westfalia and Holdsworth conversions.

Despite checking eBay every two minutes there seems to be very few of the above coming on to the market and those that do appear seem very expensive. Am I really going to have to pay £15-16K for a 15 year old Trooper or Westfalia or am I looking in the wrong place?

I guess I also need advice on whether there's another option I've not considered at this price point. I'm a VW lover (currently have a T2 Westfalia, Polo and UP) but might even consider non-VW.

Thanks for any advice

Colin
If you get a good late Westfalia for £16k, you have hit the jackpot. The top vehicles are still going for upto and around 30,000 Euro in Germany (and some of those are 15+ years old) ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree, if it is a good one, that is a steal!
I have a 2003 pop top Westy in great condition, with now 160000km. I paid 26K euros (Germany) around 4 yrs ago (about 125K km) and it is still worth about the same now (may be a little more, looking at the current German market).

Other than tyres and servicing I have only had to replace the track rod ends.

Great investment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The T4 Westy was a 1997 White California Coach on sale in leigh on Sea for 14,995. I'm not sure about the service history or provenance.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The T4 Westy was a 1997 White California Coach on sale in leigh on Sea for 14,995. I'm not sure about the service history or provenance.
As you appreciate with a vehicle that is 19 years of age you are going to have to be pretty sure about it.

Price will also reflect engine type, and so will the importance of good service history ........ anyone can put an 'inky' rubber stamp in a book even me (price on application .......................... only joking!).

All T4's, once you are in that price bracket and above, become a very 'considered purchase' .............. so the more you know the more aware you are ;)

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I had an A/S Trident (high top version of Trooper) before my current T4 and my father still has a Trooper. IIRC mine had Propex blown air gas heating. Autotrader currently has a '96 Trooper for 12k and a 2001 long nose for 16.5k, amongst others. the former is a bit of a way from you in Somerset but to get the right van you have to be prepared to drop everything and travel as good ones won't hang around ! alternatively, give Andy a call. he offers a direct source service if he hasn't got what you're looking for in stock.
http://www.campervans4u.com/
Also worth having a look on mobile.de to see what's available in Germany.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated. I'm happy to travel for the right van. I think the trooper and long nose westy have been on sale for a while (sure I've seen them on eBay a month ago) so probably over-priced (or maybe I'm naive).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks. The Troopers I've spotted do appear to have a proper "full" service history and are sub 100K but I'm not sure how they compare value wise to a Westy

Does this look over-priced?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322112957383?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
seller claims it is auto gearbox and 5 speed manual with new clutch .as for westys they are all left hand drive the autosleepers are the best quality convertion and of course RHD and hold there price . .how about a reimo convertion right and left hand drive on these ..as for the rest no comment .

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
seller claims it is auto gearbox and 5 speed manual with new clutch .as for westys they are all left hand drive the autosleepers are the best quality convertion and of course RHD and hold there price . .how about a reimo convertion right and left hand drive on these ..as for the rest no comment .
Ebay is not always the greatest to list features, you can see it's manual from the images, so you could forgive him that. As for price again it's worth what someone will pay, remember when purchasing the only person you are challenging to buy it is yourself; because it's YOUR money ;)

Not all purchasers will come from a T4 background, or spend months and months doing their homework. To them it will just be a camper, and if it fits the bill it may become theirs T:

Don't be put off by LHD, if it's Westfalia for eaxmple it will always be on the money!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are Holdsworth or Reimoas well built as Autosleeper? I guess from the posts above that Westfalia are most durable?

·
Bercow fan club
10,221 Posts
If you're on a budget look for an older conversion with a solid body ( yes they do exist ) and either a 1.9d or 1.9td engine then get an engine conversion to a 1.9 TDI which will give you all the advantages of a more modern motor but without the price tag..
I paid under four grand for a four birth Bilbos breakaway, it needs some tlc but is otherwise sound,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts