VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Yesterday my mate and I had a day on our vans. I finished off his conversion and he did all my belts water pump and injectors.
When we were all done my van was really lumpy on idle. So leigh dug out vag com while I got on ros tec we found the idle adjust and set about messing around with it. But to be honest nothing really made much difference. The pump timing is also a little bit out but by the time we got the van back together is was getting late and both our phones were getting warm with the calls from fed up girlfreinds so we didn't want to get back inside the engine bay.
Ok so this morning I've found this.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17977

So my question is this. Is the problem as simple as just winding up the idle to as high as it can go and setting the pump bang on.
I only ask as my mate spent all day fighting with my van yesterday so I would like to be able to adjust it myself if I can.
P.s I've found all I need on pump adjusting.
Many thanks Jay.

P.P.s it's a 2003 88bhp 2.5tdi.
Jay..

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would get the pump timing bang on before touching the idle adjustment. Adjusting the idle doesn't always help with the idle, but the remap should sort it.
T: Correct
U MAY experience that U MAY want to increase idle due to bigger nozzles. However Pump MUST be spot in.
It CAN be that one injector is sticking, not atomizing right & so on. Who did the injectors? Are they definately all sound?
Fiddeling with idle is IMO the last resort

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are rakes injectors and he checks them before dispatch we know the pump timing needs to be spot on but we were both getting it in the ear of our girlfriends so had to call it a day. I just thought I'd check with you guys before I get started. As if there was other stuff to try its easyer to have a list when you start than wait for replies while working on it. Thanks for the replies people looks like I can get it sorted now. I don't really want to rush down for the remap as I can't get a day off work this month.
Thanks again. forum to the rescue as always.
Jay.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would get timing spot on first.
After fitting pp2 injectors I couldn't get my 'injection quantity' within 3 to 5 mg/r using VAGcom so did the hammer mod which then allowed me to get it within spec. Result was smooth idle without increasing idle speed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers lads. Van is now running as sweet as a nut. We got the pump timing set then re set IQ but it was still lumpy. One tap with the hammer and it now run's sweet. Zero smoke and idles as smooth as you like.
Now I've got more time to get my decat and everything else sorted before the remap.
Thanks again everyone.
Jay..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just interested to know what mg/str figure you managed to get.
Oh sorry mate I don't know as saturday night it was getting late so we got it running without smoke and put it back together. As it's got it's mot tomorrow so we thought best to leave it be. I could have a look tomorrow for you if i get time. T:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Oh sorry mate I don't know as saturday night it was getting late so we got it running without smoke and put it back together. As it's got it's mot tomorrow so we thought best to leave it be. I could have a look tomorrow for you if i get time. T:
Thanks. It would be interesting to find out. I can't get mine to run any lower than 6mg/str by adjusting the IQ and it's very smokey at idle. The smell of diesel is very strong so I'm guessing it's over fuelling. I've read that 3-4mg/str is the target.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts