VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the actual law for carrying passengers in the back with or without seatbelts??? There seems to be lots of answers but no real law. I see camper vans on the motorway all the time with people in the back and no belts.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I think only forward facing seats need belts. My brothers motorhome has side facing seats, no belts. :eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is it not something to do with windows. Pretty sure for mot if there are seats in the back, if it has windows it needs belts. No window no belt needed.
I may be wrong, apparently I was wrong once before!I:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, when the peeps in the back crush skulls with the front row / bulkheads / each other maybe you'd wish. But compartmentalised law for a motorhome?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If the seat is to carry a person it needs a seat belt. Motorhomes with side facing bench seats may not drive with passengers. There used to be an exception if the vehicle was first registered before the seat belt laws started.

My multivan has rear facing seat belts which has lap straps only, but they are belted seats.

So when looking at these fancy motorhomes, they will give you a number of seat belted seats which you can drive with. Some only have the cab seats but then have large bench seats either side in the main saloon area. But you cannot drive legally with anyone sat there.

The rules change for Bus services. But as far as we are concerened...if its a seat to ride in. It needs to be belted.

You can kit the back out how you want so long as no-one travels in the back.

T:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
If the seat is to carry a person it needs a seat belt. Motorhomes with side facing bench seats may not drive with passengers. There used to be an exception if the vehicle was first registered before the seat belt laws started.

T:
wasnt that the rear seat belt law introdution,
iv had quite a lot of campers and motorhomes wher the rear seatbels do not aply, but they were all old, coachbuilt motorhomes did have a lot of side faceing seats but thats not the case now,
anway no mater what the law says why would you want to put your loved ones at risk, its a known fact that seat belts save lives,

the company i work for spends thousends of pounds on crash testing, we also fit all types of seating and regulations change all the time, so whats deamed as safe one year may be a fail the next,
thats why i said depends,
just because the regulation for a certain year/ type /class said it was ok then , we know better now,
gjonnyj sorry dude forgot to say welcome,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just acquired a 2003 VW Compass Calypso (Two front seats with three point harness and two sideways bench seats in the back with no seat belts) Does anyone know if any type off manufacturer makes a kit for the self installation of seatbelts for the rear seats of any kind? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Think you might struggle With It being coach built. I would think the solution is to buy seats that have belts attached and have them bolted through the floor. or sonthing like unwin rails so the seats are removable.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The issue you'll have is that a three-point seatbelt won't work as intended on a sideways seat in the event of a crash, so I expect you won't find any kind of kit fit them to sideways seats.
Ideally you'd need it to be a forward or rearward facing seat to be suitable for seatbelts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Think you might struggle With It being coach built. I would think the solution is to buy seats that have belts attached and have them bolted through the floor. or sonthing like unwin rails so the seats are removable.
Yeah, I thought it might be something pretty extensive. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just acquired a 2003 VW Compass Calypso (Two front seats with three point harness and two sideways bench seats in the back with no seat belts) Does anyone know if any type off manufacturer makes a kit for the self installation of seatbelts for the rear seats of any kind? Thanks in advance.
I have a compass navigator with rear lounge, which due to year of my van no belts needed but I did fit some as the camper comes with the holes already drilled in the metal framework. Seat belts were hard to find tho.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts