VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my rear light on the drivers side is a lot brighter than the left side when i have my lights on, also when i press the brake peddle the left one seems to flash fine but the driver side only slightly lights up ? thought it may be the fuse but changes it and it's still the same. Any ideas would be appreciated . T:

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Noticed my rear light on the drivers side is a lot brighter than the left side when i have my lights on, also when i press the brake peddle the left one seems to flash fine but the driver side only slightly lights up ? thought it may be the fuse but changes it and it's still the same. Any ideas would be appreciated . T:
Is it the same when you swap bulbs ........... poss corroded connector, or bad earth :*

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
Bulb is in the wrong way round!
You're using the 21w for side and then the 5w for brakes.

Must have been a struggle to fit it, as the pins are offset!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Virtually impossible to fit incorrectly, not only offset pins; but different heights too and locate different ways.

Really will only fit one way, or it simply will just not locate T:T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
Virtually impossible to fit incorrectly, not only offset pins; but different heights too and locate different ways.

Really will only fit one way, or it simply will just not locate T:T:
You try telling that to the number of people who HAVE managed it!
When you've got your hand stuck in a small "hole", it's amazing how much force you can apply to make something "fit".
The mounts are made of pretty thin metal, and the lugs cut into the frame DO bend quite easily.

I've done it, on a Mercedes Smart!!! (THAT car requires the whole front removing to change a sidelight bulb!)
Twin filament bulb lights CAN be fitted wrong.
Push in HARD and twist HARD ......yeah, they do fit!
Remember....most of the light fittings are over 20 years old....and corroded.....corroded metal bends easily.

There was a thread on here not long ago, someone asking about Amber indicator bulbs (offset) and his van had been fitted with clear (inline pins).......or was it the other way around?
The actual "fitting" is not constructed that well.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
You try telling that to the number of people who HAVE managed it!
When you've got your hand stuck in a small "hole", it's amazing how much force you can apply to make something "fit".
The mounts are made of pretty thin metal, and the lugs cut into the frame DO bend quite easily.

I've done it, on a Mercedes Smart!!! (THAT car requires the whole front removing to change a sidelight bulb!)
Twin filament bulb lights CAN be fitted wrong.
Push in HARD and twist HARD ......yeah, they do fit!
Remember....most of the light fittings are over 20 years old....and corroded.....corroded metal bends easily.

There was a thread on here not long ago, someone asking about Amber indicator bulbs (offset) and his van had been fitted with clear (inline pins).......or was it the other way around?
The actual "fitting" is not constructed that well.
Pop your rear light unit out and try it ............... I have one here on my desk and tried this morning just out of interest. Give it a go on your van, if you don't have a spare unit. If you don't get it right the bulb will not locate, and just falls out ......... nothing to do with brute force ;)

A 382 yes, but a 380 no ...................... Gaz spent amost 49 years in the motor industry as you know, so seen most things a million times over; trust me.

My Multivan is 20 years old, no corroded connections ............................. just been in for some work and I swapped out my rear bulbs last November. I did not want them to get damaged; or in the case of my halogen reverse light bulbs contaminated, if they needed to remove them. If you have climatronic the O/S is almost done by feel only as room is tight I:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
Sorry scruff....I've actually done it ! (many years ago....)
The "holder" for the bulb is not that strong, and if you put the bulb in at the right (WRONG) angle, the sides open and allow the bulb to fit.
The pins don't lock correctly, but the bulb "stays put" due to being jammed in the holder.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Sorry scruff....I've actually done it ! (many years ago....)
The "holder" for the bulb is not that strong, and if you put the bulb in at the right (WRONG) angle, the sides open and allow the bulb to fit.
The pins don't lock correctly, but the bulb "stays put" due to being jammed in the holder.
Gaz, if anyone had done it, my money would have been safe; if I had put it on you LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
Remember the old P45 headlamp bulbs?
Guess who managed to "upgrade" his Wartburg Knight headlights to H4 style, and fit one of them upside down? :(:*:(

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Think there is also an aspect of where the bulb was made, I have a box of useful spare bulbs and some have pins fitted at odd angles, some of the pins are relatively long while others seem short, but probably only a couple of mm in it.
Must admit my personal issue is the thought of the glass envelope shattering if I try and force things.ugh!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Think there is also an aspect of where the bulb was made
Standards are adopted fairly uniformly around the world, (USA and Japan have some slight variations); but buy wrong and try to fit wrong can always happen.

Gaz has probably got some H4's (P43t to be exact), fitted into his interior lights LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
Standards are adopted fairly uniformly around the world, (USA and Japan have some slight variations); but buy wrong and try to fit wrong can always happen.

Gaz has probably got some H4's (P43t to be exact), fitted into his interior lights LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
It DID take a bit of fiddling....those 1/4" spade terminals need a LOT of force to go over the 3/8" ones on the bulbs :*

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
What can I say?
My school reports often said I was "bright, but had problems connecting"!

Sorry OP.....hope you sort the problem whilst laughing at us old gits!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,391 Posts
There ya go......perfect outcome. (Even if you did have to read a load of garbage before sorting it!) T:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts