VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Slovakia!

Last week our van failed the Technical Control (like UK MOT) on the rear brakes. Braking force on them is fine when the handbrake is pulled but not when the pedal is pushed. Front brakes were fine.

Force when handbrake is engaged is about 2.15kN on both sides, but only 0.7kN when pedal is depressed.

Therefore, I'm thinking it is the bias compensator somehow not working. I read here that I should be checking if it is seized, but I don't quite get how I should check whether it is seized! If someone can let me know, that would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll fiddle some with those bolts and see what it will do.

Also, my understanding is that the compensator works in such a way that braking force is increased with an increased load in the rear. Is that correct? In other words, if my van is empty, the rear brakes would be applying a minimum force and if it is loaded, they would be applying a maximum force? Or do I have that backwards. The reason I ask is that there was atleast 500 lbs in the back of the van when I had STK done, so I hope that should have only positively affected rear braking...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we still haven't figured it out. Replaced the compensator, but the guy doing the test says he should have failed us because he has to push the brake pedal to the floor to just get the rear brakes to brake hard enough. Thanks for the advice here though. Anyway, since he passed it, we've got another 2 years to hunt around for the problem!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts