VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive taken the pads out, cleaned and greased the slider pins used a little copper slip on the backs of the pads and reassembled.

The brakes don't jam on, the wheels are free turning and they don't get hot to the touch but the handbrake is still uneven, i was wondering are there any other maintenance things that can be done to solve it ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Checked the pistons go back ok? i dont know about the T4 calipers but on the passat theres a lever for the handbrake.. is this moving freely and fully? Also worth checkign the hand brake mechanism under the van. Handbrake cable goes to a mechanism which will have a cable for each wheel coming off it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the pistons go back ok? i dont know about the T4 calipers but on the passat theres a lever for the handbrake.. is this moving freely and fully? Also worth checkign the hand brake mechanism under the van. Handbrake cable goes to a mechanism which will have a cable for each wheel coming off it.
The handbrake cable is in tact I've just had the front part replaced ( it snapped during the MOT) the two rear inner cables are moving through the outers freely. It looks like the mechanism is the same as Passat with a short lever for the handbrake, they're both moving ok.
Ive just got a piston wind back tool so I'll give that a go when Im changing pads this weekend. I'll post the result.
At the MOT I was told one side was weak but it was good enough to pass.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update ......Ive just done the rear brake pads and the pistons are moving as they should as are the sliders but the hand brake still seems to be uneven . The front part of the cable has been replaced for the MOT a couple of months ago and the cables to the individual sides are free moving.
Im puzzled now because everything is moving freely but its still weaker on one side.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I would just fit new cables all the way and never touch them again. When you change pads, keep the adjustment as it is. You might want to fit new cables and get a workshop to adjust them for you. That way it has to pass the MOT.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just fit new cables all the way and never touch them again. When you change pads, keep the adjustment as it is. You might want to fit new cables and get a workshop to adjust them for you. That way it has to pass the MOT.
Yeah you're probably right I should replace both rear cables, even though they appear to be running smooth they are the only things I've not replaced .The centre cable was fitted by the MOT garage as they snapped it during the test, the mechanic was called Hercules. Its just as well he gave it an extra hard pull, it could have snapped anytime.

I will get a friend to work the handbrake while I have a look underneath. Im trying not to spend money here :GL ( tight as a ducks A*** )

Are the two rear cables adjustable ?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
The rear cable is adjustable if my memory is right. Adjust once and forget. My brake cables are many years old and never been touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear cable is adjustable if my memory is right. Adjust once and forget. My brake cables are many years old and never been touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ill check the adjustment over the weekend (fingers crossed) .....then I might have to spend more money.:blg.

The last few months its been starter battery, leisure battery, four brake hoses, handbrake cable, brake pads all round, :blg I don't think I'm getting a Christmas present this year.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The e brake cN be adjusted at each rear caliper. It is in the manual...I have never xone it, but it is not complicated.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Its not clear if the MoT comment was against the handbrake only or rear brakes in general.
If its the brakes in general then the following may apply
If you have surface corrosion on the disc that can make one side less effective than the other. This is because any bumpy rust just wears the pads away and does not help with braking, this rust build-up is why you often find the edge of the pads typically nearest to the centre of the hub are worn unevenly. You can try removing the corrosion build-up with a wire brush on an angle grinder or similar physical method; but as often as not its easier to replace discs and pads on the whole axle.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The discs aren't too bad, there is a little bit of pitting on one side but its very slight and there is no excessive rust.
I see what you mean about brakes in general or just the handbrake but I cant remember exactly what the mot said. I thought it was just the handbrake because the tester snapped the cable trying to pull it on harder !
Ill try a light disc scrubbing with a wire brush on an electric drill first and do the process of elimination.
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts