VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Rear climatronic T5.1 shuttle

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  blobbi 
#1 ·
I have entered into the T5 world with a 15 plate LWB shuttle.
It has the climatronic controls at the front which work great:

and a button to control the rear from the front which works on the display but.....

However there doesn’t seem to be anything going on in the back if you change the temperature and the rear climatronic controls do not come on

I also noticed that when I put the “rest” heating on it will not blow to the back, only the front.

I have looked through the forums and changed the fuse but don’t know what I should do next to try and fix the issue?
Is there a relay I could change?
Should I take of the rear controls somehow to see if they have disconnected it (I believe it was a taxi bus before I bought it)?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a plug on the rear controller with 19 wires I believe in it. The rear display should come on with the ignition and the rear can be controlled from the front or the back. You may find the rear controller has been unplugged if you're lucky to stop punters fiddling with it. From memory the rear controller just levers out and the rear HVAC won't work at all if it's unplugged.

#5 ·
You're lucky as the Climatronic rear controller is CANBUS and is a slave off the front controller so easier to diagnose with VCDS. The Shuttles with just heater dial in the rear use no diagnostic interface and I'm struggling with mine having replaced the actuators on the blower and still have no control.

#7 ·
I'd think they're as rare as hens teeth, Climatronic wasn't a cheap option and afaik only available on Shuttles & Caravelles and standard only on the Caravelle Executive. You might have more luck on ebay.de

#8 ·
So an update to close this off.
I went and got the van scanned at SW VW in Barnstaple (excellent place!) and they said that there were no fault codes but the system would look for the rear climatic control box for 10 seconds before giving up. So he thought it was the rear climatic control box that was broken. Steve offered to plug in one from another van if one came in over the next couple of weeks, but due to my impatience, I went onto fleabay and found a matching part for £100 rather than £450 from VW. It arrived yesterday, I plugged it in and it works! Rear climatic control is now working and I am one very happy bunny! Thanks for the input and help. Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.