VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a T4 with an up and over rear door but i want rear barn doors,

any ideas if the conversion is possible and how difficult it may be?

dan

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's possible to go the other way as I know several people on the site have done so. by that reckoning it should be feasible to convert the other way, and you'll probably find that you'll find someone who want to swap quite easily as the up and overs tend to be more popular i think.

·
Banned
212 Posts
hi there it is possible but requires a little work and you need everything off the donor vehicle to do this also you will have to make up some wiring looms for the other door
cheers pete

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
if its a swap then its a good idea to meet up somewhere park up back to back so to speak;) & start unbolting

should be pretty straight forward job really in the sence nowts missing for both parties concernedT:,,,,,,,,go for it guys & good luck:)

·
Banned
212 Posts
hi there its not a straight forward swap i outlined this earlier have done numerous ones of these conversions tailgate and barn doors and the anchor plates for the hinges for starters arent there so these have to be made and a big enough hole has to be also made to fit these and by the way it takes a day to do the conversion
hope this helps
cheers pete

·
Registered
342 Posts
There are bits missing................you'll both need new rivnuts/ threaded inserts in the new door hanging locations and for the struts on the tailgate.:ILU:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well seems to me once im ready ill stick up a swap and hopefully will get it done then.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
tailgate to barn door is a bit more difficult than putting a tailgate on a barn door van.

the barn doors need strong retaining plates to hang the hinges on.
rivnuts will not add the thickness needed to swing the doors on, so some bending may occur or they will pop out when you open the door in the wind.
you can cut the plates out of the barn door van and put them in the tailgate van.
but you will need to cut a slice in the bodywork on both and weld them back up.
where you cut to get them out needs to be chosen carefully because there are 3 layers of metal.
you can go in in the bit behind the rear window.... but choose carefully where you cut.
a sit with a brew staring at the area for 10 mins will be time well spent! ;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
tailgate to barn door is a bit more difficult than putting a tailgate on a barn door van.

the barn doors need strong retaining plates to hang the hinges on.
rivnuts will not add the thickness needed to swing the doors on, so some bending may occur or they will pop out when you open the door in the wind.
you can cut the plates out of the barn door van and put them in the tailgate van.
but you will need to cut a slice in the bodywork on both and weld them back up.
where you cut to get them out needs to be chosen carefully because there are 3 layers of metal.
you can go in in the bit behind the rear window.... but choose carefully where you cut.
a sit with a brew staring at the area for 10 mins will be time well spent! ;)
I remember when I did mine that the plates for the hinges were accessable from the light recesses. Worked them loose from there retaining bracket and they fell through.
I never used rivnuts for the struts as the metal looked too thin for the forces on the struts so I made up some plates like the ones for the door hinges and fed them up through the metal work from the light recess. Was fiddly but am 100% happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts