VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
taking too long to build van2
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a nightmare this year with the DVA test centre MOT test here...

the rear breaks are giving a inbalance which by their standards is a fail - All the rear drums, shoes and cylinders are new in 2017 new sections of pipes etc but two retests and its still failing. Whats really annying is that on the mainland its acceptable as rear breaks not factored in such a way...

I've run it through the centre test empty and with 80gk of extra weight in the back and its still giving a cira 70% impalance.

Any suggestions please let me know!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Take em apart. Check every linkage is free, lubricated.
Check handbrake linkages, adjusted correct, not pulling one or both on slightly.
Check linings both clean, sand them. Check drums.
Check wheel bearings for play, one may be pulling drum slightly.
Put axle stands under back, chock front wheels. Pull handbrake on one notch, so both wheels still rotate but under slight brakeing. Do they both move same; same resistance. Investigate.
Put a brick on brake pedal or heavy weight, so wheels starting to brake but not total. Try spinning each wheel, is the resistance same, if not, find out why.
Check hydraulics not seized and both pistons operate freely. Could just be that one wheel cylinder is working better than the other. If so, carefully get some one to press brake pedal very slightly to check for corrosion but don't let piston pop out. Use a G clamp to limit its travel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Make sure the load valve is fee to move put plenty of penetrating oil on it. To bleed don't forget to move the lever on the load valve to the fully open position otherwise you won't get enough fluid through to bleed properly.

·
taking too long to build van2
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankas guys. Been through all of that and only thing thats not viewable is the break balance valve (inside) - levels all working out side but it appears that the piston inside is just not working right - great a 175£ part :bhd - Oh well.. Atleast now thats the entire rear breaking system replaced over the last 10 months (including pipes!)

ITs still the orignal one and i'm on 318000 miles so tbh thats ok I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts