VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What needs to be removed to fit rear dust shields ( other than the wheels) I have searched the Haynes manual but it doesn't mention them ( maybe I'm not looking on the correct section) I've been driving about with just one for a while, the nearside rusted through and fell off the remaining one is just about to do the same.
Thanks.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,418 Posts
If everything goes well then you'll have to take off everything to get the brake discs minimum.

If there are stuck/broken bolts then you'll probably have to take off the wheel hubs as well. If it gets really bad then the suspension arms will have to come off as well to take them to a machine shop.

Good luck. :gl

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If everything goes well then you'll have to take off everything to get the brake discs minimum.

If there are stuck/broken bolts then you'll probably have to take off the wheel hubs as well. If it gets really bad then the suspension arms will have to come off as well to take them to a machine shop.

Good luck. :gl

Thanks for the comforting info, the good luck wish and the crossed fingers. lol. :GL.
That has got me worried now, my van is my everyday vehicle so I can't afford to get stuck with a problem. I have decided to change the rear discs and pads and if the bolts that hold the dust shields on are rusted / immovable/ or break when being removed I will just not put the new ones dust shields on.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,418 Posts
I’ve been in similar positions. And had to borrow cars from friends or family to go buy a tool or get parts to finish a job.

If memory serves me right the bolts that hold the dust shield on go all the way through. So you could spray plusgas on the boltsa week ahead of starting the job to give yourself a chance of getting them off cleanly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The dust shields are held on with two M6 bolts and are easily accessible when the calipers and discs are removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts