VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then, had a quick search to no avail. Was wondering if it is safe and legal to have a rear facing front seat while driving?

Considered swapping my front bench round (T28 T5) so it faces the other way. Wife and little un can sit on the RIB in the back and I could have the front facing backwards (folded forward whilst driving if necessary). Would just give us masses more space in the rear when camped up. Was hoping someone would devise a swivel for a front bench that was safe, but can't see it happening!

Any thoughts?

Don't want to swap for a single swivel as I like the bench and storage underneath.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
useing my very vivid imagination, i can only see that working if you base it on an S.P.V. ( Spectrum Perchute Verchile ) as in Captin Scarlet. They drove facing backwards using mirrors. I:T:

·
Registered
681 Posts
The seat belt would be fun as the rear of the seat would be away from the post
Couldnt you fit another seat in the rear with quick release mechanism fittet. Finally have you ever been fortunate enought to be looking out of the back window when travelling I have and felt sick as a dog for 140 miles

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
useing my very vivid imagination, i can only see that working if you base it on an S.P.V. ( Spectrum Perchute Verchile ) as in Captin Scarlet. They drove facing backwards using mirrors. I:T:
Haha! I may have not phrased it right, but I meant the passenger seat not the drivers! I'm about to google S.P.V. now though, sounds fun LOL:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat belt would be fun as the rear of the seat would be away from the post
Couldnt you fit another seat in the rear with quick release mechanism fittet. Finally have you ever been fortunate enought to be looking out of the back window when travelling I have and felt sick as a dog for 140 miles
Doh! Never considered the seat belt. Still, that rules out travelling backwards ;)

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My order will be going in shortly!!!

Had my eye on these for a while, just the job

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry for digging up an oldish thread. I've been looking into the same issue.

I found that the rear Caravelle captains seats have integral seat belts. This resolves the seat belt issue. Some have VW integral swivel bases. The only bit I can figure out is how to attach the seat safely. The obvious solution is to fit some short sections of caravelle rail but everyone is telling me this is difficult or impossible or just stupid.

Did you manage to make any progress on this ?

Thanks

Dobbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts