VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are after fitting some more rear seats behind the cab but facing the rear of the van obviously we will have seat belts fitted but some people say you can no longer fit them facing backwards of the van, can anybody put some light on the subject please?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've seen new motorhomes with back facing seats. And no seat belts. :*

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats crazy!! well unless they dont have kids which we do and safety is first before ANYTHING!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought seatbelts were fitted to prevent the occupier being thrown foward in the event of an accident!?!

So, what use is a seatbelt if you are facing backwards?

Unless you reverse into something, I guess! I:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So, what use is a seatbelt if you are facing backwards?
Actually a good point. Rear facing seats are proven safer in a crash as long as its a frontal crash which are the most common by far. The occupants of these seats receive less injuries even in minor crashes. Its just not very practical to have the drivers seats facing rearwards.

The Multivan platform comes complete with two rear facing seats for the first row of passengers, and the newer T5 multivan's can be driven with the seats swiveled to face backwards. So rear facing seats are still perfectly legal.

Side facing belted seats are no loger authorised to be fitted to new vehicles, hence why Land Rover defenders now have fancy forward facing fold up seats.
Sideways belted seats are dangerous in front and rear crashes as the injuries received by the occupants are compounded by the whiplash effect of having no backrest.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
R.A.F. passenger aircraft always had rear facing seats (apart from the dicks at the front) and I always thought this was far safer.:D

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I guess Gerry Anderson was spot on when he designed Capt Scarlet's SPV!

(For those of you who are to young to remember, Google it!) T:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so by law i can have rear facing seats fitted without seatbelts as long as i dont reverse? Rasp:LOL:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So does anybody know the proper law on this then as we are going to use the van to get around as a whole family and dont want to get any points etc for doing it wrong with the seating

1 - 15 of 15 Posts