VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing an Eberspecher I removed the rear heater but I did not pay attention to the flow direction of the rubber hoses.
I want to install a calorifier and need to know in which direction the coolant flows.

Is there something to test this maybe open the circuit again with the hoses in a bucket and than run the engine to see how it flows? Will this work? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
I fitted my calorifier in the return as recommended but I left the heater in place & in use, I don't see it will matter which way you connect yours as the water will be the same temperature in both. I don't remember which hose is which I'm afraid. There are joints behind the wheel arch liner if you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your reply.
I removed my heater to make space for a custom 50L wheel arch water tank.

The manual of the calorifier clearly says coolant IN / coolant OUT
http://nautica.atimariani.it/admin/downloadattach.php?id=141

I asked a boat technician who said the same thing as you.. it should not matter.
At least if there is no non-return valve in theory it shouldn't.

Did you plumb in some valves to isolate the calorifier when not in use or in case of failure?
The technician warned me that if something goes wrong with the coil or fittings the coolant can drain and damage your engine.
I am thinking about 2x 3-way valves easily accessible so before a camping trip I can add the calorifier in the circuit.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomorrow I will ask the company that produces my calorifier if the direction really matters.

For the valves, to simplify fittings I just found a 3-way valve with bypass.

I don't know if these are fine for glycol liquids?

·
2,759 Posts
Mine, a Surecal 10 litre with mains immersion heater, didn't stipulate a flow & return & both pipes are level, it's just a copper coil heat exchanger. I didn't bother with isolation valves & if we travel with the tank empty it's not a problem.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,208 Posts
I don't know if these are fine for glycol liquids?
Is that an LPG valve? Never heard of gas valves being used. It might not like the heat or the glycol. I tried to get a 15mm 3-way stop valve to isolate a toilet cistern once (someone had teed off for an outside tap) and it seems they only do 2-way.

Nice pic Roger. T:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, nice install there, is that under the passenger 2-seater or a rock n roll bench?
I think this must be your scheme right?

·
2,759 Posts
Yep, nice install there, is that under the passenger 2-seater or a rock n roll bench?
I think this must be your scheme right?

It's all squeezed under one of the two Rib single seats which make two singles with the front seats swivelled round or slide together to make a double the same way. Thats the way Iv'e piped it up, it's a pressurised system, the expansion bottle & accumulator are exactly the same things both set to 30psi. If you're not running a pressurised system you don't need the accumulator.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool Roger, very neat install. I guess you have your water tank outside under the van?

What pump do you have? Looks like a Seaflo.. which model is that?
I think I want a small flow pump, something in the range of 5L per minute, as to preserve water consumption

Today I am going to pick up my custom 53L water tank :)
Initially I wanted to get the 42L T5 206 from CAK tanks, but after a bad experience (they basically don't care) and weeks waiting just to be able to order, I decided to get one custom made.
I found a local tank builder / PP-joiner here in Italy to make a tank for 150€.
In the UK I would advise Barratt Tanks I was quoted under £200 and very positive communication.

I picked up my calorifier / water heater on friday. It's a 20L square format that I will install in front of the right hand wheel arch. The tank will be installed over and behind the right hand wheel arch.
I want to build a structure in extruded aluminium profiles, I hope I can get everything done in about two weeks from now.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that an LPG valve? Never heard of gas valves being used. It might not like the heat or the glycol. I tried to get a 15mm 3-way stop valve to isolate a toilet cistern once (someone had teed off for an outside tap) and it seems they only do 2-way.
No, it seems they come in high temp versions. Some even with an auxiliary microswitch.
No 12V version unfortunately. Depends on how much they cost. I might get the manual version.

https://www.caleffi.com/internation...sed-three-way-ball-zone-valve-pass-tee-644442

·
2,759 Posts
I guess you have your water tank outside under the van?

What pump do you have? Looks like a Seaflo.. which model is that?
Yes off the shelf fresh water tank round the spare wheel, waste tank down the middle. The pump is a Dometic, I don't remember the model off hand or the flow, 7L possibly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts