VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my van lowered 50mm on t4s R us HD springs and bilstein B4 dampers,(it only dropped 35mm). Since this was done i have noticed a knocking at the rear when ever i go over bumps.They were all fitted by my friend at his garagebut he is now on his holiday for 2 weeks so just thought I would ask on here to see if anyone has experienced the same problem. Incase it is something i can sort out myself.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
433 Posts
what tyres are you running? it wont be hiting the bump stops i run these springs. i would'nt have thought it was anything to do with the suspension set up if fitting correctly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and its just as much as a rattle as it is a knocking, definately not feeling like anything is bottoming out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll check my nuts I: ive used the old ones off the steel wheels so maybe they dont sit in right.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Does anybody else think these tyres are quite big? I run 225/45/18 and find these to be the same diameter as the stock 15" steels, just a bit wider.
I know a few people who run 235/40/18. Could it be a tyre issue?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
235/45/18 if i remember correctly on mine now?ive a knock on left when going over bumps,new shocks,correct nuts,i think its the bushes gone in the suspension arm,seemed very easy to move when i removed shocker,tho couldnt feel any play?
rh side is ok?:*

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
taper on steel wheel bolts is normally not suitable for alloys, and the length of thread is often too short on steel wheel bolts.
if wheel bolts ok and tight loose bottom damper bolts knock like mad, should only be tightened with weight of van compressing rubber bushes, if u tighten without loading bushes the bolt will nip up but not compress the rubber bush.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i took a bolt out and had a look and the taper does look quite a lot different to the inside of the alloy, ive never really thought about this to be honest, just assumed all wheel bolts were the same just maybe different lengths. im taking it to get the tracking and camber adjusted tomorrow so i'll get them to have a look.
Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts