VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- just bought a roof basket for my t4- fits great-only problem is that i can't reach it to put anything in!!

Just wondering if anyone knows of a rear ladder that will fit a 99 t4 (tailgate with glass)?

Thanks in advance
mike

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi sorry I can't help you but I did go through the same thing when I put a basket from a shogun on mine. I couldn't find anything apart from an unhelpful seller on ebay who refused to give me dimensions.

I now just climb up the syncro spare wheel carrier to get on the roof. Works a treat.

If you find anything I'd be interested in what you do.

cheers,

Dan

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi- thanks for that- not a bad price- from what i've seen so far- the only thing that really concerns me is what happens to my door when my 17 stone frame climbs the ladder!!!! H:

I am presuming there will have to be interior strengthening to stop the bolts ripping out and also something to stop the door skin from pushing in?

Mike

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks- it looks like it would do the job great- it does say it includes 'internal strengthening plates' so i guess that answers my other question as well!!

my old LT camper had rear glass(barn doors) and a similar ladder-it was bolted in two places- the lower one was inside the rear door trim- so not sure how that was done as never took the trim off- but the top one was drilled straight through the door and the bolts were visible on the inside- that one worked fine - but the doors on the LT seemed a lot thicker metal and more solid than the tailgate on the t4??
Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
i made one from and old bunk bed ladder! hangs off the roofrack and supports off rear tyre and is stored on the rack when not in use!

great for geting up there!

use to just climb off the front doorcards and climb over van but cant bring meself to doit after me respray

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi- just bought a roof basket for my t4- fits great-only problem is that i can't reach it to put anything in!!

Just wondering if anyone knows of a rear ladder that will fit a 99 t4 (tailgate with glass)?

Thanks in advance
mike
Mikey, I'm currently trwaling the web for a decnt roof basket. where did you get yours? T:

·
Registered
89 Posts
ive got a ladder on my barn doors which i am going to remove this weekend ,
its fitted to the left hand door
ill take a pic and post it up here ,

oh and its free to anyone that wants it just pay the postal charge :D

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ladders for tailgates exist:

although that one was on the van from new and the converter's not in business any more. Seen others, though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had the one shown above on my last van. I took it off when I sold the van but didn't want to drill into the new van's tailgate. I had fitted two 7.5mm plates in the inner door to stop the bolts pulling through the door skin. I also fitted collets to stop the bolts compressing the inner and outer skin when being tightened.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts