VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone help? My California has just failed its MOT due to a busted rear number plate light one works the other had corroded away. My problem is the electrical contact has gone into the the rear door handle and I can't see it to pull it back. This means I have to try and access the wiring from inside the door. Which means removing the frame that holds the chair storage to the door and door card. Ive come stuck as the star headed bolts are just spinning and not loosening so I can't remove the metal frame that holds the storage from the plywood door card. Does anyone have any tips on gaining access to the the light from the inside of the door. Or is there a hidden clip that hold the entire rear door handle which I then flick off to remove the handle from the outside? basically until I gain access my van won't pass its MOT. as it only has one working number plate light. very frustrating and I don't want to spend a fortune on garage bills for a 20 quid bulb holder. Any help is appreciated

Dave

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I am in exactly the same boat and did this on my van last week, below is the post from my build thread that I put up at the time, hope it helps a little .......

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. It's re-assuring to know that heading away with a baby is not completely un-doable .....

Had a wee potter on the van today, it's getting near MoT time again and the rear number plate lights problem from last year has annoyingly resurfaced. I decided that the housing was going to have to come off this year to fix it, which was a bit of a riddle, but as per usual the forum helped. So after removing the carpetted panel, then undoing the locking mechanism (2 x 13mm nuts and 2 x spline heads screw).

From there 4 more spline head screws need to come out, they're a pain to see and get at so it's easier to show where they go after the housing is off -

I then took the lens covers off they looked dreadful -

And the contacts were all badly corroded so I took a very small thin grinding head type thing from a dremmel and used that to scour them so they were clean and shiny. To replace the old light I'd bought these which are a tenner off ebay if you're prepared to wait for them arriving from China (took about 10 days) -

Fitted in no problem, they just slot right in - remember they only work one way round so if they don't light up at first just turn them around. In daylight the difference is quite noticeable -

and at night the difference is amazing, the right side looks like it's hardly lit at all with the old bulb in -

Thoroughly recommend this dead simple mod, now all I need is a set of Sportline rear lights ..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the link Restless,

Apparently its a common fault that the number plate light corrodes. You'd have thought they would have made access easier but that's German engineering for you. Unfortunately you have a different door set up to mine. I have the up and over with a factory fitted chair storage unit bolted to the door for folding chairs to fit in the natural void of the door. So its a complete mystery how they put it together as nothing is giving and I can't gain access to anything as the retaining bolts are just spinning. I don't want to take a grinder to them in case I the entire set up and have to go to VW to get an entire door! The joys of owning a California, built complete by the factory with no allowance for tinkering unless you have an engineering degree

1 - 3 of 3 Posts