VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a Multivan bench in the rear and i think i want the rear quarter windows in? I have the "hanger seatbelts" fitted with a 4" x 1" plate fitted at the top but from what i read i need the rear quarter windows to gain strength?

What are your thoughts and has anyone done this just for the seatbelt strengthing?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
putting a window in wont make it any stronger..the top rail in a van is only single skin and no retro fitting of seatbelt is recomended..if u look at caravelles that rail is double skinned it is totaly different from the van rail..much has been said on the forum elsewhere on this subject..a 4x1 piece of plate is not good enough. hope that helps i know many have retro fitted belts there .i wonder if they informed there insurer of this modification..i know mine would refuse cover.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
putting a window in wont make it any stronger..the top rail in a van is only single skin and no retro fitting of seatbelt is recomended..if u look at caravelles that rail is double skinned it is totaly different from the van rail..much has been said on the forum elsewhere on this subject..a 4x1 piece of plate is not good enough. hope that helps i know many have retro fitted belts there .i wonder if they informed there insurer of this modification..i know mine would refuse cover.
So when "double thick" does this mean that its about 2mm thick rather than 1mm thick on the rail?

I have read other threads on it and there seems to be alot of opinions rather than fact, so is there any safe way to retro fit seatbelts to the van?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts