VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance to reading my post.

I have been reading a lot of posts on the decision on which bed/seat combo I want in the back of my pannel van that I am slowly converting.

I am after seats in the rear of the van that will then form into a bed. I have been looking at the custom made R&R beds and also Mazda bongo seats.

As I am on a budget i was looking at the bongo seats and also safety for my kiddies comes to mind so am erring on the bongo side as they are factory made...all i would have to do is to install the seat rails properly. Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

Cheers

Pro

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spent ages pondering the same question...and went with bongo seats with built in belts...whether its legal or safe it seemed to be the best option in my opinion. Ive built boxing across the back that it folds flat level with and then mattress on top to finish the bed. Its nice having the functions on the chair such as moving back and forward and different recline positions and they can be removed easily to allow to be used as a van still...

Ignore how bad it looks as im still in the process of finishing and will eventually get a retrim but hope it helps....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I take it the rails are bolted right through the floor? Is this ok with your insurance ?
Looking at a set of these to replace these:
-

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent ages pondering the same question...and went with bongo seats with built in belts...whether its legal or safe it seemed to be the best option in my opinion. Ive built boxing across the back that it folds flat level with and then mattress on top to finish the bed. Its nice having the functions on the chair such as moving back and forward and different recline positions and they can be removed easily to allow to be used as a van still...

Ignore how bad it looks as im still in the process of finishing and will eventually get a retrim but hope it helps....
Thanks for that, this is of great help. I too am looking at the safety and convenience option. They seam like the best option...now it is fingers crossed a set come up on ebay super cheap.

Thanks again and the pics look great of your van...keep up the good workT:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it the rails are bolted right through the floor? Is this ok with your insurance ?
Looking at a set of these to replace these:
-
I believe the rails are attached to the floor and use spreaders so the load is spread across the floor, so in the case of an accident they simply dont just pull out...safety first

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used 4 bolts on each rail with spreader plates underneath. Insurance are fine with it...they just wanted to know if i have seats or not werent worried about how or who fitted them. The MOT guy also commented on the bolts and spreader plates with a f**kin hell there some big bolts and that seat aint going nowhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. Have a pair of bong seats with rails on route, so can get one extra large bed sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts