VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie so hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area - flame me gently if so!

I've got a T4 Reimo with sliding variotech seat - with 2 lapbelts. Problem is that I've got 2 kids, and the second one is growing out of his "baby" car seat and needs a booster seat. Booster seats need 3 point (lap and shoulder) belts, so I've been looking at my options around this and it's tricky to say the least. I could get a new variotech seat with 3 point belts, but they are horrendously expensive (£3k+). I asked my garage about fixing seat belt mounting points to the van, which they said they could do, but I'd also need to bolt down the sliding back seat otherwise it'd fail the MOT. This would be impracticle as Reimo vans need the seat to slide around so you can open the various cupboards.
The guys at Middlesex Motor Caravans make their vans with sliding Reimo seats and mounted belts, and they tell me there is not a problem with MOTs - which could solve my problems, but I'd love to know if any one else has resolved a problem like this?

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If you want some more info please feel free to call me.

I had a Reimo van and can describe what you need.

The seat can lock into two positions for traveling as you know.

In the forward setting you use the middle seat belt points.
(Just inside the sliding door.)

Reimo do a special long belt to fit over the cupboards if they are fitted.

You can also get one for the passenger if the normal one is to short to fit through your child seat.

Like i said give me a shout if more help needed.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Middlesex Motorcaravans fitted my seatbelts with my Variotech.

Will post some pics for you later

Simon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics would be greatT: - I've been looking on the DVLC websites etc to try and nail down the MOT rules, but it's all a bit woolly. I can't see anything saying that you can't have seat belts fixed to the van with seats on rails, so I hoping I've just got the wrong steer from my local garage. If I get some pics of your van to show them, then hopefully that would convince them. I get a great service from these guys, so I want to keep using them and I'd get them to fit the belt attachements for me.

I'm gonna ring Rob (previous posting) later for a chat as well. Can't bear the thought of having to give up my van for the sake of not being able to fit a booster seat!:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
As it was originally a panel van there were no seatbelt points at the rear of the van meaning the variotech seat had to be in the forward postion for travelling using the C pillar seat belt mounts. The variotech can still be used in the forward position with the buddy seat removed.

Plates have now been installed at the rear of the van allowing the fitment of 3 point belts so the seat can be positioned further back.

This has freed up space to allow for the installation of a quick release 'buddy' seat behind the front passsenger seat.

The buddy seat can be postioned either forward or backward facing

All work carried out by Middlesex Motorcaravans

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a Reimo Variotech seat with two 3-point seatbelts, fitted by a company called Luxe UK (they did my camper conversion). I've had the van MOT'd since with no problems. The seat and fittings are all TUV approved.
I have two young children so did'nt want to take any chances with things like this.
As long as it's done properly you should have no issues.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rob, If my understanding of German wasn't so poor, I might have better luck with this site - I've run it through a translator and I think I get the jist of it.
This
http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/58047-traverse_3_punkt_automatikgurt_rechts/
could be exactly what I'm after as it'll convert my lap belt seat into a 3-point seat, and will still let me slide the seat around to whatever position I want with the booster seat intact.

I'm gonna give the guys at CMC a ring tomorrow and see if they can confirm that this will fit. They did the original conversion on my van so hopefully they know.

Fingers crossed.

M

·
0 Posts
I agree if you want advice on seat belt applications on the Reimo Variotec seat it is strongly recommended that you contact an accredited UK Reimo agent such as Concept Multi-Car Ltd telephone 01303 261062.

The Variotec seating system is a fully crash tested seat. A full crash tested system means all aspects of its operation and fixture, and seat belt attachment in each vehicle application. To modify the seat in any way will void the TUV approval or render the seat unsafe.

Seat belts are one of the most important components of a seat as this is the device that restrains the body. Just because a seat comes with a seat belt does not make it safe. If the seat belt is not fitted in line with strict defined dimensions to restrain the tarsal and spread the load over the correct area of your body the results could be damage to internal organs.

Just a note the seat belt component in the Link to Reimo Catalogue is not for T4 but for Vito. Not wishing to blow any trumpets but I know this part very well as I designed the Reimo Dreamline moulded interior for The Vito before the vehicle as lunched on the market. I spent many weeks trying to develop a mould to allow for the operation of the belt in the rear position of the vehicle.

If in doubt contact the seat manufacture’s agent they have the answers and I am sure will be only to willing to help as safety is top of their business agenda. T:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tony - you're right in that whatever solution I come up with, it's got to be 100% safe as it's my kids I'm doing this for. Doesn't matter how careful you drive, you always got to consider the "worse case" scenario.
Had a look at your web-site - I can see you know this subject fairly well!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think adapting the seat is a feasible option - think the apapter will get in the way of everything. I've spoken to Hilary at CMC, and she's put me on to Jerba Campervans over in North Berwick. I'm taking the van over there when I get a chance and hopefully they will be able to fit a belt at the back of the van.

I'm not technically or mechanically competant enough to try this myself - I'll let the experts handle the scary safety stuff and I'll stick to hanging curtains!

I will update this post when I've been over to Jerba - thanks to everyone that's posted and helped me out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks Rob, If my understanding of German wasn't so poor, I might have better luck with this site - I've run it through a translator and I think I get the jist of it.
This
http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/58047-traverse_3_punkt_automatikgurt_rechts/
could be exactly what I'm after as it'll convert my lap belt seat into a 3-point seat, and will still let me slide the seat around to whatever position I want with the booster seat intact.

I'm gonna give the guys at CMC a ring tomorrow and see if they can confirm that this will fit. They did the original conversion on my van so hopefully they know.

Fingers crossed.
I've got one of those on my variotech seat chassis. It might not foul your cabinets if you have them. What is the overhang of the seat base/upholstery over the side of the seat chassis?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres some pictures of the overhang of my seat - not too clear unfortunately, but I can't see how the bed would lie flat with the attachment bolted on. Also, you can see the white box at the bottom of the cupboards in the pictures - this sits underneath the overhang when the seat slides back, so I think the attachment could hit into that. I'd be very interested to see if your set-up is similar, and if so some pictures of how it all works would be great.
I've been over the Jerba campervans in North Berwick today and they confirm that they can fit belts for me. They would fit a plate in to the back top crossbar (where the boot hinges are) , and put the seatbelts on there. The belts would have two male connectors and fit into two female connectors attached to the seat. So happily I definately have one workable solution to my problem, and someone who can do it for me, but as mentioned, I'd love to see how yours looks.
Guys over at Jerba are busy at the moment fitting out new vans - it's great to see the vans being "born" over there - mustn't hang around too long in case I get tempted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure what I did wrong with the pics. Here's a link to the album - might be easier to do just follow this until I get my technical head on.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rthomas17etf/CamperPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCNeYt_mD4vihQQ#

Hope that works!.

Just found Dan T's original thread :-
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4124

Looks like Dan's been down exactly the road I'm travelling - It's amazing how many people get the same problem I've got, and how many answers there are. Jerba reckon that the C post skin is too thin, whereas the cross bar at the rear of the van is thicker at therefore better for bolting your life-savers to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I finally have a 3 point belt in my van! A:
After my visit to Jerba, I spoke to Tony Ellicot who had PM'd me. He described in detail the reasons why a belt can be attached to the C pillar of a panel van, and described the kit available from CMC. I'm happier having the belt on the C Pillar as it allows the Reimo seat to be in the forward position, rather than having to be all the way at the back for rear mounted belts. I was initially concerned about the suitability of the C Pillar for mounting a seat belt - anyone that's read posts around T4 seat belts will have come across the too-thin-skinned arguments. However, both Tony and CMC have been fitting seat belts to these posts for years, and when I cut away the carpet and found the holes, I saw that VW reinforced the skin around the holes, so theres a lot of metal there to hang the belt off.
So I ordered said kit for £70 from CMC and it arrived a couple of days later. Now, I don't do anything mechanical with my T4 usually, preferring to take it to a someone else for servicing etc, but Tony had given me the confidence to fit this thing myself, and indeed after a few more conversations to reassure myself that I wasn’t going to mess it up, I managed to get it fitted.
So to conclude, fitting the seat belt wasn’t half as difficult as trying to find out the best solution to my problem. If it hadn’t have been for the help of the guys on this forum, then I would still be searching the internet and still be totally unsure as to what was safe and what wasn’t. Special thanks to Tony for all the time he spent on the phone patiently explaining how and why the belt could be fitted.

p.s.
I took some pictures along the way, but can't upload at the moment. Happy to do so later if anyone wants to see what a naked C Pillar looks like ;)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Would be interested in seeing some piccies if you could post some as we will be needing the 3 point belts. We have just fitted the variotech seat to our van.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully I'll get round to posting some tonight - can't do it from my work unfortunately.
I only fitted the seat to the nearside - I know you can get offside belts tht are extended to go over the furniture, but getting to the offside c-pillar would be too tricky for me, and I'm not sure of the strength of the pillar on that side. On the nearside, the pillar has to be strong as it has to hold up the whole van when the door is open.

M

·
0 Posts
Hopefully I'll get round to posting some tonight - can't do it from my work unfortunately.
I only fitted the seat to the nearside - I know you can get offside belts tht are extended to go over the furniture, but getting to the offside c-pillar would be too tricky for me, and I'm not sure of the strength of the pillar on that side. On the nearside, the pillar has to be strong as it has to hold up the whole van when the door is open.
This is a good comment in regard to seat belt installation A:. The 'C post on the N/S has internal strengthening on both Panel van base vehicles (WV1 chassis number) and Caravelle (window Van WV2 chassis number).It is important to understand that fitting a seat belt to the O/S 'C' post requires addtional body strengthening in respect to the inner and outer skins around the mid section window recess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts