VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered a million times.
Is it legal to fit a buddy seat side ways in the back. Ie facing the sliding door. Are there anchors for the seat belts there?
Thanks, Adam.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Is it legal to fit a buddy seat side ways in the back. Ie facing the sliding door. Are there anchors for the seat belts there?
Thanks, Adam.
Don't quote me mate but I think they don't like them. The belt acts as a cheese wire and cuts in when I a crash. Or something along those lines. More of a hinderence than help basically.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Also in a crash a passenger who is belted sideways will receive horrific whiplash injuries (unless they are an F1 driver) as the average human neck is much more used to coping with fore and aft motion than side to side motion. The laws on new vehicles reflect this, this is why new Land Rover Defenders have fancy flip down forward facing seats and not the old school sideways belted ones.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks, Adam.
simple answer to this NONONONONONONONONONONON0 NOT CALLED DEAD SEAT POSITON FOR NOTHING

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys.
think i may have to rethink my plans for the new van then as the rear seats will mainly be used by my 2 kids, so safety is obviousely an issue.
how safe are the rear seats when theyre on sliding runners?
just wieghing up my options. I:
adam.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was thinking more along the lines of std folding buddy seat.
are the sliding runners some people use standard equip in some vans?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can get buddy seats for the t4 that connect to the back of the cab seats-face backwards and come with arm rest and built in seat belt :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get buddy seats for the t4 that connect to the back of the cab seats-face backwards and come with arm rest and built in seat belt :)
sweet, which model seats are they? multi van??
how much do they go for?
how hard to find are they?
as you may have guessed, im a bit new to all this!
thanks, adam. T:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
problem with buddy seats in multivan to retro fit needs special floor hook type fitting. as i believe multivan floor is different to vans/caravelles.am i right ??? then rear facing buddy seats only have lap belt .quite usless.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
then rear facing buddy seats only have lap belt .quite usless.
A rear facing seat is much much safer than a forward facing seat in a crash. The 3 point belt was implemented to stop the top half of the body whipping forward from the point where the lap belt would be in a crash.
With a rear facing seat, you are generally sitting up in a crash, and your body is forces into the seat. Crash passengers in rear facing seats receive almost no whiplash injuries (and the survival rate in a plane crash greatly increases for people in rear facers, e.g. the hosties get off alive). Putting a 3 point bely on a rear facing seat would be a bit redundant, as you are unlikely to have a high speed crash while reversing.

The seat looks like this, and they are regularly for sale on german ebay

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help with this guys.
after reading drmagpie's last post i think rear facing seats are the way forward!! :*
so could i not just fit a standard front double seat, facing backwards, in the rear?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts