VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a LWB T4 panel van, and I bought two single seats in matching inca fabric with integrated 3 point belts from eBay. I want to fit them but have been told that you are not permitted to fit rear seats unless the rear has windows (i.e. it is illegal ?), Is this true ?

Once fitted do I only need to get a new M.O.T to insure it or is there any other certification required ?

In addition can anyone recommend an insurer that will insure a modified van since my current insurer will not.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi I have a LWB T4 panel van, and I bought two single seats in matching inca fabric with integrated 3 point belts from eBay. I want to fit them but have been told that you are not permitted to fit rear seats unless the rear has windows (i.e. it is illegal ?), Is this true ?

Once fitted do I only need to get a new M.O.T to insure it or is there any other certification required ?

In addition can anyone recommend an insurer that will insure a modified van since my current insurer will not.

Thanks in advance.
Hmmm, Think its right about the windows....May have to give Vosa a visit to get your documentation changed from 2 or 3 to 4 or 5 seats...Possibly.......not much help really.......oh well..........hopefully someone may know what they are talking about.......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi, re: Insurance I have just insured with E van. Search on Google. The quote procedure has a list of modifications to match what you have done. Beat this years renewal by £80.

As for seats. I have insured as 4 seater, and have twin seat (with belts) in rear on mushroom bolts. at mot time I leave it at home.

Planning to put at least 1 side window in this year. can anyone confirm what is correct?

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I have fitted a double rear seat (exAA), left in for last mot, all the tester did was make sure the belts worked.

Insured with Adrian Flux, all they wanted to know was that the seats were installed by an approved person. Nobody has asked about side windows!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks in advance.
This would be covered by The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations. A few years back when building a Kit Car I was able to borrow a copy from the local Library. It was also available to purchase from HMSO but kon't know how much.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Suggest getting your V5C changed by DVLA showing the number of seats. No charge made for this.

It helps should you be pulled by the law or have god forbid any accidents. Also show on your insurance as again if any problems you are covered.

If its safe then there is no need to cover anything up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone elses benefit I contacted VOSA as per the advice earlier in this thread the response is below which agrees with the other earlier post regarding the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 which can be downloaded in PDF form from http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/aboutria/ria/theroadvehiclesconstructiona5588?version=1

Thank you for your e-mail.
There is no particular requirement to fit rear windows if you install
seats.
Generally you will need to ensure any alterations are made in accordance
with The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
After the alterations are completed you should notify the DVLA that you
have made the alterations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts