VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to undo the bottom bolt without the bottom half of the shock turning??:confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks Si...brute force it is then!H:

·
Registered
765 Posts
What about the top bolt?? I cant get the bloody thing out, it has unscrewed from the captive nut & is turning, but doesnt want to come out of the damo shock itself!
Anyone else had this trouble?

·
Registered
103 Posts
i believe this is common, and more prevalent on the passenger's side due to collecting more from the edge of the road.

the bolt is seized in the metal shim in the bushing at the top of the shock. that's why it spins and spins after you've released it from the captive.

i made my hands bleed doing mine and it still never come out. what i did was nip it back in, and i'm going to get a replacement bolt from vw before cutting the seized one out so i can replace the shock.

the driver's side one, true to form from what i read, came straight off without any fuss.

good luck with it dude

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought myself a DeWalt impact driver a few years ago, it seemed like a huge extravagance but I've found I use it loads. Even just taking wheels on & off it makes life loads easier and I seem to end up doing that quite a lot !

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had the same problem with the bolt Too.
I used an angle grinder to cut the shock off.
removed the rubber and used a Dremel to cut the tube bit length wise and then levered it apart to free the bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts