VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a split in the rear silencer box and so I'm going be changing it, I've heard you can get a straight through pipe?? If this is the case then I guess this will be better than buying another silencer as there's less restriction.. What about the noise? Will it be louder and what type of pipe do I need and where could I get it from?
Cheers! :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found a few silencer replacement tail pipes, can these pipes fit onto the the existing middle pipe? Although I will be fitting a decat soon..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Just found a few silencer replacement tail pipes, can these pipes fit onto the the existing middle pipe? Although I will be fitting a decat soon..
If your engines a td then don't worry about noise, turbo engines exhaust note are much quieter than normally aspirated, my mk2 golf td converted has a small centre silencer but is a 'straight-through', not noticeable from other cars. My tdi converted t4 has a straight through /side exit system with the center pipe from a Mitsubishi evo9 so no silencers, it has a 'note' but is not loud :cool:

Rich.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
.................... Although I will be fitting a decat soon..
Do some homework,
suggestions that cat is now MOT mandatory if vehicle originally fitted with one.
suggestions also that its only a visibility test and not is it functional,
suggestions again but seems there is an opportunity for decat pipes with cat shaping :*:*:*

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do some homework,
suggestions that cat is now MOT mandatory if vehicle originally fitted with one.
suggestions also that its only a visibility test and not is it functional,
suggestions again but seems there is an opportunity for decat pipes with cat shaping :*:*:*[/

Apparantly this is the case as of February 16th, would be interesting to here from anyone that has had an MOT recently..

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
whilst replacing the back bumper I noticed that mine doesn't actually have a backbox. it's got a middle box, but in the place where the backbox should be it doesn't have one, just a straight pipe.
The van wasn't modified at all by the previous owner it was a delivery van for a honey farm for the first 3 years of it's life, maintained by a VW independant garage.
and I've owned it 5 years and I didn't delete it.
I did notice when it got the DPF took out it had more of a whistle to the exhaust tone...
and not once has anyone or me ever thought it's louder than it ought to be!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
"I did notice when it got the DPF took out it had more of a whistle to the exhaust tone...
and not once has anyone or me ever thought it's louder than it ought to be! "

T4s were never fitted with a DPF!!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
All t4 i've seen either RH or LH do have a rear silencer, if your doesn't have it it's because it's been deleted...look for seam welds on the pipe, it would be obvious where the pipe as been grafted in...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
All t4 i've seen either RH or LH do have a rear silencer, if your doesn't have it it's because it's been deleted...look for seam welds on the pipe, it would be obvious where the pipe as been grafted in...
It's a T5.1, I was in the wrong section!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a cybox full cat back dual exahust with oval rear tips, it's whistle quiet on idle or on full chat. The turbo is loud though, i have a hybrid k14 from a vw LT modified to fit and it has a larger wastegate ... I am a welder/mechanic by trade and i bought the exhaust long before owning this van- it was intended for a mate's t4 but he changed his mind and i bought it from him for cheap. Its good quality but tightening clips and exhaust rubber hangers are rubbish- i have replaced them with genuine vag polyurethane rubber. On all my other cars i have built exaust systems from scratch but there were not off the shelf options available at the time otherwise i would not bother...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts