VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

We definitely need a bit more storage in the Autosleeper Clubman GL.

I tried a top box but it made it too tall to fit under some local railway bridges.

Can anyone reccomend a back box? I've only seen the Fiamma ones for £400+!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have a tow bar so that could work if it clears the ladder ok.

I wonder what stops it twisting off the ball hitch though? Seems to be the only point of fixing. Surely that could come off??
Think of the leverage.
Like the idea though as its lower down for loading (my bike rack is 5' up!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, had a bak-rak for about 8 years now. I have only carried bikes and have managed to get 1 adult and 3 kids bikes onto it. Have never had a problem with it coming loose or moving whilst on the move. There are basically two parts, a spring loaded clam shell, thingy which fits over the tow ball. You then drop the rack itself onto the clam shell and tighten a single bolt which clamps the rack to the tow ball. I'm not sure what the dynamic load limit is, but it will hold me at 14 stone. You do have to buy the additional bike rack(s) which bolt onto the rack. From memory all in all it cost about £100's back then. Never had on the back of the T5 as I have yet to fit a tow bar. Works very well on a Land Rover Discovery and a Hyundai Santa Fe.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Managed to get a 2nd hand Thule 900 backup box and just bought a brand spanker Thule 949 bike rack. T:
These clamp around the tow ball, that's it.
Very well built and should be able to get loads of kit in it.
I reckon total weight allowed in the box is 31kg, taking into account allowable load capacity of bike rack (45kg) and subtracting weight of the box (14kg)
That does depend where you get the weight limits from LOL:
Not cheap.....................LOL:LOL:.................but then you have got a T5!!..............LOL:LOL:LOL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts