VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm sure to those in the know, the answer to this question is very easy ....:confused:

We have a 1999 T4 1.9td with a tailgate, and a rear wash wipe setup.

From the stalk on the steering wheel column, I can make the wiper "wipe". But;

1. How do I get the "wash" action to happen ??
2. Does the water for the rear washer come from the main bottle under the bonnet, or is there one somewhere else ??

It might seem like a dumb-ass question, but without a manual I'm a bit short of info !!

Ta

Frank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Isobelle - perhaps I didn't make myself clear ..... :D

I can operate the front wipers and washers fine - it's the REAR WASH function that is the mystery.

I've got a feeling mine isn't working for some reason, so wanted to check I was operating it correctly before investigating further.

To operate the rear wiper you push the switch on the end of the stalk in - press it again to stop the wiper. To get the washer to work do you push this switch in and hold it - if so, mine doesn't work. And does the REAR WASHER use the front washer bottle, or does it have it's own bottle hidden somewhere ??

Ta

Frank

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
To operate the rear wiper you push the switch on the end of the stalk in - press it again to stop the wiper. To get the washer to work do you push this switch in and hold it - if so, mine doesn't work. And does the REAR WASHER use the front washer bottle, or does it have it's own bottle hidden somewhere ??

Ta

Frank

Same bottle and you hold the switch to operate the jets. You might have a knackered washer water pump or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Does the rear washer work off a seperate pump or is it the same as the front? I don't get any water at the rear doors, but front works OK. Looks like we might have the same problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rear wash - push the windscreen wiper lever forward, and hold it there. Same as front wash wipe, but pushing in the other direction. Also quick push forward to turn intermittent rear wipe on and off.

I think the rear wash tends to clog up from less use and road dirt thrown onto the tailgate.

All runs from the one tank under the bonnet, pump is a "special" (clips into side of bottle in usual way) to drive front or rear wash wipe selectively.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bingo !!

Thanks RubberBiker - exactly as you say, and it actually squirts water, so everything works.

Why didn't I think of that though ..... doh !!

Cheers

Frank

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had the van for over year, no idea i could wash the rear screen! - just had to pop out to the van for to 'collect something for work reasons' and check, full pressure squirt first time H:
Cheers folks!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Had the van for over year, no idea i could wash the rear screen! - just had to pop out to the van for to 'collect something for work reasons' and check, full pressure squirt first time H:
Cheers folks!
You had the van a year and you didnt know you had a rear windscreen wiper?

I would hate to be behind you when you are reversing! LOL:

·
Registered
679 Posts
What you mean I have a reverse gear as well? - This is like christmas! I've been pushing it in and out of car park spaces! LOL:
Although testing the sprayer thingy has left water streaks on my tail gate - i wanna go outside and clean them - Dam my OCD, actually no - DAM work!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Been contemplating that for a while aswell, some smoothing too for some nice clean lines, no ugly wiper! :ILU:
Any advantage in swapping the tailgate for one without a wiper, i guess thats just as much hassle as smoothing the current one.
Oops kinda hijackin the thread! I:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts