VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the 1.9 oil pressure checked the other day, supposed to be 30psi at 2000rpms was coming out at 75psi....

Anyone experienced this or have any knowledge on it?

I've looked on the web and can find faulty oil pressure sensor on the toureg forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
High oil pressure is a lot rarer than low pressure. The usual cause is a stuck PRV in the oil pump (sometimes seperate from the pump - I'm not sure on the Transporters as I'm new to ownership). The next usual suspect is a blockage somewhere - like a gallery or occasionally the filter. It is sometimes also caused by someone using incorrect viscosity oil (ie too thick).

So, best place to start, in my humble opinion, is to dump the oil, flush it through with a good flushing oil, replace filter and refill with correct viscosity oil.
If that doesn't work, find the PRV and check/ get it checked for serviceability.

An afterthought - first thing to do is check the dipstick and oil filler cap for nasty looking oil, if it 'looks' like sewage you probably need a good flush and replen.

Hope that's a bit of a help?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Another afterthought, sorry, have you had the van long or has it had a recent recon engine or rebuild.
Incorrect build tolerences (tight bearings etc) can also cause excessively high oil pressure at high RPM - but usually OKish at idle.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had a new turbo, oil and filter with in last month. Would a restricted turbo oil feed cause it do you think?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just had a new turbo, oil and filter with in last month. Would a restricted turbo oil feed cause it do you think?
I wouldn't think so, not if the pump PRV is operating. I don't pick up my T5 until Friday so I can't even go outside and have a look for you. There's probably two pressure switches on yours, a low and a high.

If no one else has replied to the thread I'll have a look at mine at the weekend and get back to you.

Who told you it should only be 30psi by the way?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Was it 75psi cold or hot? It's usually higher cold (99.9% of the time).

Also, what were the pressures at max revs and idle? You may find it reduces at higher revs.

I don't know the manufacturers psi figures for a T5 engine (and can't find it online anywhere :mad:) but I wouldn't say 75psi is a worry, I've worked on some diesel engines who's main PRV doesn't operate until 140psi. That's oviously an extreme example but might put your mind at ease.

If it was MY engine and the pressure was around 30psi at idle and below 80psi at max load I'd be more than happy. But if you have concerns it might be worth a phone call to the friendly Main Stealers?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Dunno just says it should be 2 bar.....
That is a minimum spec i think you'll find.

75 psi is a very healthy oil pressure, was this reading taken hot or cold?? I'm assuming this is the R5 2.5PD engine.

How was the reading taken? Oil pressure gauge or via onboard diagnostics?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right spoke to him this morning, said it wasn't stone cold, but wasnt red hot but wouldn't expect it to be that high cold. He'd had it running a while but not drive it round to warm up.

Anyone know where the prv is? Oil pump?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a 1.9 taken using a gauge.. Didnt realise you could do it with vagcom! Might get a warm reading then.

So 75 psi is good? Said 30psi is what it should be running...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check was taken at 2000rpms stationary, on a warmed engine but not hot. Just panicking as its had a new turbo within te month and doesn't seem to be running right... Turbo gets loud under load in forth and fifth, which is what it started doing before it went bang last time. So I'm thinking there's an underlying problem withy van, as just assumed the turbo went before due to it being and ex aa with 140000 on the clock.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hello Lock1981,

erwin.volkswagen.com says the oil must be at 80deg C minimum and at 2000rpm the min press. should be 2bar.

'At higher engine speed' the pressure should not exceed 7bar which is 100psi.

Are you sure the engine was proper hot when you checked it?

If it was then it might be the pressure relief valve in the pump but they are normally very reliable. This is pre-set to 12bar.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine had been running but I doubt up to temp as it takes 10 mins if its driven to get up to temp....

If it can be taken by diagnostics ill get it done this weekend

1 - 20 of 20 Posts