VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read on another forum that it might be better to go for an MPV conversion instead of Motor Caravan.
has anyone on here successfully changed their log book to this classification?
if so, are there any conversion guidelines available?
my 800 special is having full windows fitted, rock and roll bed with seatbelts making it 5 secure seats including driver.
I was going to fit table mounts and a kitchen pod to make it compliant as a Motor Caravan but if I can get MPV I won't bother...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not trying to say, trying to find out!!;)
I think there might be more requirements than just the seats but the info I'm reading around and about is suggesting it might be easier to achieve than the full motor caravan label.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So are CARAVELLES exempt? When I checked last year, the tfl website said my caravelle was non compliant as of jan 1st.
Strange, because according to the tfl guidelines, cars and minibuses with less than 9 seats don't need to comply.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If it weighs over 2500kg or has a GVW of 2500kgs it will still not be compliant for the LEZ, Best route motor caravan and down rate the GVW to 2490kgs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are CARAVELLES exempt? When I checked last year, the tfl website said my caravelle was non compliant as of jan 1st.
Strange, because according to the tfl guidelines, cars and minibuses with less than 9 seats don't need to comply.

It's worth checking again as they've put a note up on the website to say some calculations have been wrong and there is a number to call if your van meets the stated criteria:

Please note: In some circumstances the compliance checker may not provide the correct compliance status for your vehicle. If your vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes and was registered with the DVLA between July 2000 to January 2002, please call us on 0845 900 1234 to check the compliance status of your vehicle.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i live just outside in potters bar and dont know what to do i only use my van as a car cant work it all out? any help on what i should do add windows etc i dunno?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just spoken to a chap at DVLA.
I explained that my panel van is having windows put in all round, including rear sides (already has glazed tailgate) and that it will have a full width seat with seatbelts for 3 people, which converts into a bed (rock and roll bed), and that the primary use will be for taking passengers and recreational surfing/camping etc - what should i reclassify the vehicle as? And he lookd at the list and said according to his records then it would be MPV T:

He did also say however that it would need to be applied for with supporting photographs to prove all of the aboveas there will be an official decision made by the reclassification department, who may or may not grant the change if certain requirements aren't met. He was unable to tell me exactly what these were :*

So is he assuming that my van still has a bench seat and can now take 6 pasengers?
Well it can't, i have two single seats up front so my seating capacity is only 5.
Can you call a 5 passenger vehicle an MPV? :confused:

I'm wondering if I could mount my r&r bed a foot away from the tailgate for the purpose of the reclassification to allow a potential 3 further seats facing backwards? I:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

So is he assuming that my van still has a bench seat and can now take 6 pasengers?
Well it can't, i have two single seats up front so my seating capacity is only 5.

:
If it has to be 6 borrow a twin passenger seat from someone just to put in to get it changed to a mpv ;),
then take it out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
HI
I believe the rules on motor caravans has changed. to get a van reclassified it now needs to look like a proper camper-van;just putting windows in the side and kitting it out will not satisfy them now.
I would like to think i am wrong but i think you will find that this is the case.
just trying to save you time and money fella T:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
HI
I believe the rules on motor caravans has changed. to get a van reclassified it now needs to look like a proper camper-van;just putting windows in the side and kitting it out will not satisfy them now.
I would like to think i am wrong but i think you will find that this is the case.
This is the page to read, http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Good Luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HI

I think this happened earlier in the year and now they have relaxed the rule again, iirc
Doesn't make much difference here anyway as we are looking at reclassifying to MPV rather than Motor Caravan. Basically it could potentially be a cheaper way of doing it and allows people who dont want a cooker in their van to get around the LEZ issue T:

As far as I can make out, if you put full windows all round (all sides and back), add a row of seats in a way that doesn't leave more room behind the backrests than 1/3 of the space from steering wheel to front of backrests (to eliminate rear loading of goods), weigh it in below 2.4 tonnes and state primary use of vehicle as recreational, it can be classified as an MPV rather than a van.

Hopefully!!! :gl

·
Previously; stevemadbiker
1,308 Posts
I explained that my panel van is having windows put in all round, including rear sides (already has glazed tailgate) and that it will have a full width seat with seatbelts for 3 people, which converts into a bed (rock and roll bed), and that the primary use will be for taking passengers and recreational surfing/camping etc - what should i reclassify the vehicle as? And he lookd at the list and said according to his records then it would be MPV T:

He did also say however that it would need to be applied for with supporting photographs to prove all of the aboveas there will be an official decision made by the reclassification department, who may or may not grant the change if certain requirements aren't met. He was unable to tell me exactly what these were :*

I'm wondering if I could mount my r&r bed a foot away from the tailgate for the purpose of the reclassification to allow a potential 3 further seats facing backwards? I:
Hi
You may get lucky and get the mpv designation BUT chances are you will not. I have recentley been through this I have side windows and removal seats etc, and they classified it as a van with side windows and seats.
Too be honest I called them and the right hand dose not know what the left hand is doing they are a bunch of morons.
Span me some line about the age of the van etc etc, so just gave up as am selling that van, but Iam going to try again with my next van.
Some on here have managed to get the mpv classification so good luck
steve

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a game of pot luck!
Have you asked them how they came to that conclusion and specifically why they refused Mpv?
Perhaps it would only be a minor amendment to your setup to satisfy them?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts