VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van has started creaking and squeaking like no tomorrow. Started a few weeks back and now fairly intrusive.

I suspect that some bushes are gone, but not entirely sure. Ive seen the powerflex stuff on here which looks impressive.

Need to find a good trusted garage who wont apply some T4 scene tax and can be trusted to do a good job for a fair rate of pay.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mine started squeaking and creaking all of a sudden last week on the passanger side whilst driving and steering, traced it to worn out top ball joint .
spray all your rubbers with wd40 as a temp fix to try and trace the problem.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers, I think my ball joints were done a while back, will have to dig out some invoices to check. I sprayed all the rubbers I could see with silicone spray but suspect I need to get under there and have a good look or get it to garage as needs new tyres fitted

·
Registered
329 Posts
mine passed its mot and its got 3mm of vertical play in the passenger side and 2mm on the drivers side and were only replaced 10,000miles ago and are genuine parts.
i deffinatly think lowering and low profile tyres are the reason for their rapid demise

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't seem to be any noticeable play just the squeaking is front me nuts! You can here it at 50mph as if it is coming from inside the van but it isn't.....I am running bit ass general grabber tyres and van is only slightly lowered.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mine are bad but there is no play in the wheel as you would expect on a car, the only way i could tell was by levering a crow bar between the top arm ring where the ball joint sits and the camber plate with the wheel off ,vertical play only no side to side movement. probably why it wasnt noticed on the mot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my drivers side which is really bad and has a split rubber started squeaking after driving in heavy rain and the squeak sounded like it was inside the van thought it was the passenger seat.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Doesn't seem to be any noticeable play just the squeaking is front me nuts! You can here it at 50mph as if it is coming from inside the van but it isn't.....I am running bit ass general grabber tyres and van is only slightly lowered.
would be good to no the problem mate...

as that van has prob got best parts on money can buy,ball joint,shock lowering etc...

we pretty much done all of it a year or so ago if i remember rightly..

have you checked the top shock covers...as sometimes on those sachs hd they can sit next to the engine tray...

would be odd to wear out trw (genuine) bal joints that quick...

what squeak to you have...all the time....only at 50mph....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Si I thought we had done ball joints and I don't expect anything we replaced to have gone. The squeak is there all the time now. You can hear it at all speeds on road and motorway when in a straight line and when turning or wiggling he steering wheel when moving or stationary.

I'll have a look at top shock mounts just in case t is something silly! Sometimes wish I was back in Brizzle then it would be easily fixed.......cos you would come and tell me the truth :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so it seems it is the drivers side top ball joint, no real play but this is driving some vibration onto the arm. Colese, not sure why but I didn't buy TRW top bj,s only the bottom ones. The top ones are q-drive.

Looked for Festa and Tommo on here but couldn't find them. Any chance of a PM with some details or their names on the Kent page so I can track them down and see if they are interested in a bit of work.

Thanks
Sam

p.s how long is a ball joint replacement (approx.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hired top ball joint remover from bud the spud T: had a m8 do mine it only took couple of hrs & only charged me £100 all in, mines going back to him at the wknd for lower ball joints, drop links & inner cv boots, shame your bit too far away he's in Deal

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
ok, so it seems it is the drivers side top ball joint, no real play but this is driving some vibration onto the arm. Colese, not sure why but I didn't buy TRW top bj,s only the bottom ones. The top ones are q-drive.

Looked for Festa and Tommo on here but couldn't find them. Any chance of a PM with some details or their names on the Kent page so I can track them down and see if they are interested in a bit of work.

Thanks
Sam

p.s how long is a ball joint replacement (approx.)
where are you mate,postcode!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where are you mate,postcode!
E14 8DG. Have underground parking ;-)

Deal works for me as well as usually it is in Folkestone, but I am only about on weekends. Mine also needs an outer CV gaitor. Really don't mind paying someone to do it. I have a place Ive been using to do other stuff, but they were supposed to have done the CV gaitor and only just seen it wasn't done. Not sure if I have been charged as waiting for them to get back to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts