VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently have a fresh water system setup with 52L tanks under the van and a 12V water pump. The water pump isn't self priming so needs manually priming which can be a bit of a pain :(

So I'm looking at fitting a self-priming pump - does anyone have any recommendations? I had a quick look at Whale pumps and find that there's then quite a selection depending what flow rate you want? Does anyone have any experience / recommendations please?

Many thanks for all your help T:

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Hi,

I currently have a fresh water system setup with 52L tanks under the van and a 12V water pump. The water pump isn't self priming so needs manually priming which can be a bit of a pain :(

So I'm looking at fitting a self-priming pump - does anyone have any recommendations? I had a quick look at Whale pumps and find that there's then quite a selection depending what flow rate you want? Does anyone have any experience / recommendations please?

I've got a 20 litre Dometic pump with an underslung tank on a pressurised system, works fine. It's a 4 diaphragm self priming pump with built in pressure switch. Look around, they're usually cheaper from boat chandlers than caravan parts dealers.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Hi,

I have this one in my caravan, nice pressure etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CM73I2G/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 20 litre Dometic pump with an underslung tank on a pressurised system, works fine. It's a 4 diaphragm self priming pump with built in pressure switch. Look around, they're usually cheaper from boat chandlers than caravan parts dealers.
Thank you, I'll look into it T:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,770 Posts
It depends a bit on your setup - specifically what height of water you're having to lift and whether there is a likely to be an airlock develop between pump and tap(s).

The venerable Shurflo Trailkings have a very good reputation for reliability and they can typically lift around half a metre or more if no back-pressure, and they should be about £50.

If you have a setup where backpressure can develop above the pump it's always difficult. On a previous van, I had to fit a small Whale inline pump at the same level as the tank (so no priming needed), specifically to prime the main pump!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another vote for Shurflo Trail King - I also use under van tank, used several in-line pumps which were not self-priming which proved hassle when the tank had been emptied each winter. Installed the The Trail King and delighted how easily it self primes and will lift water easily from underslung tank to sink level in T5

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice on the Shurflo Trail King, I'm gonna check that out as well - sounds like there's at least one similar setup to me.
T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,169 Posts
The Shurflo are probably the most popular (at least in the USA) and very reliable. I have one in my Camperbus that works great and is around 15 years old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.
I went for the Whale Pump in the end.
Obviously i can't compare to the Trail King but I can say the Whale Pump is superb, does a great job and is self-priming so saves a lot of hassle over our previous setup (which did need priming by hand).

Thank you all A:A:A:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts