VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations please for a 150w roof mounted glass solar panel (low enough to still use wingbars) and top notch leisure battery. Camper already has split charge hook up system. Just need to power a fridge of grid and maybe a couple of LEDs. Thanks.

Registered
I put a 150W PV Logic one on my T5 from Just Kampers. Low profile one that you stick down. Runs the fridge and whatever else, never hook up now. Charges leisure & main battery 馃憤

Registered
Can鈥檛 understand why you wouldn鈥檛 install a lithium battery with the low prices they are these days. Less weight, use the full power, fast charging and mount at any angle. For the usable power available, they are the cheapest option.
Install a 12v to 12v charger and forget the solar panel. Mine runs my fridge, lights, water pump and charges phones, cameras and hearing aids for three days without any driving and it鈥檚 only 60ah. If that鈥檚 not enough, then add a solar panel for extended stays and the charger should come with built in mppt charging.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can鈥檛 understand why you wouldn鈥檛 install a lithium battery with the low prices they are these days. Less weight, use the full power, fast charging and mount at any angle. For the usable power available, they are the cheapest option.
Install a 12v to 12v charger and forget the solar panel. Mine runs my fridge, lights, water pump and charges phones, cameras and hearing aids for three days without any driving and it鈥檚 only 60ah. If that鈥檚 not enough, then add a solar panel for extended stays and the charger should come with built in mppt charging.

Special Rapporteur
For the usable power available, they are the cheapest option.
I don't know what planet Cabarita is living on but, around here, lithium batteries have lots of great characteristics, but "the cheapest option" is not one of them.

I'm not completely up to date on pricing but if you're going for "known brand" products, you should budget of 拢500-600 minimum for a 60ah installation, including suitable B2B charger. A decent lead/acid installation with 110Ah battery should cost about a third of that. Of course, the lithium setup will be better in almost every way but... it won't be cheap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what planet Cabarita is living on but, around here, lithium batteries have lots of great characteristics, but "the cheapest option" is not one of them.

I'm not completely up to date on pricing but if you're going for "known brand" products, you should budget of 拢500-600 minimum for a 60ah installation, including suitable B2B charger. A decent lead/acid installation with 110Ah battery should cost about a third of that. Of course, the lithium setup will be better in almost every way but... it won't be cheap.
Cheers Triffic 馃憤

Registered

You are right. I stand corrected. I have been looking on eBay UK and eBay Aus and the prices are completely different and I don鈥檛 know why. Cheap 100 ah lithium batteries here are $329 which is 190 pounds but in UK they are nearly double that price. Known brands are much more. I have been using cheap lithiums for years now for my own campers and have wired up a few for friends too and all are still going well despite driving on lots of extremely corrugated outback roads in pretty dusty conditions. In theory they should last nearly 20 years but only time will tell. That is much more than I will need.

Special Rapporteur
the prices are completely different and I don鈥檛 know why.
I don't either, but I suspect that it's related to the way in which China goes about "capturing" markets in specific countries. We've seen before - for example with solar panels - how the CPP can dictate over-capacity in Chinese factories, and use the excess production to destroy competing manufacturers in other countries. It seems likely to be related to this.

Registered
I don't either, but I suspect that it's related to the way in which China goes about "capturing" markets in specific countries. We've seen before - for example with solar panels - how the CPP can dictate over-capacity in Chinese factories, and use the excess production to destroy competing manufacturers in other countries. It seems likely to be related to this.
Silly question Triffic....what's CPP Chinese political party?

Special Rapporteur
Yes - to be pedantic, I believe it's the Chinese People's Party. The perfect representation of the people - no opposition needed (or allowed).

I should add that I don't have anything against the Chinese population. But their political system is (IMO) dangerous for the rest of the world. Have I wandered off topic yet?

Registered
Sally super battery I don't know how one qualifies that.maybe take a look at Roamer batteries.......I'm damn close to squeezing 230AH under a seat base.well actually it is squeezed. Build for your needs Sally simple as !!

Yes - to be pedantic, I believe it's the Chinese People's Party. The perfect representation of the people - no opposition needed (or allowed).

I should add that I don't have anything against the Chinese population. But their political system is (IMO) dangerous for the rest of the world. Have I wandered off topic yet?
yeah.but maybe you had help ;) ..........Sentiments shared bud...:(

Premium Member
Looking for recommendations please for a 150w roof mounted glass solar panel (low enough to still use wingbars) and top notch leisure battery. Camper already has split charge hook up system. Just need to power a fridge of grid and maybe a couple of LEDs. Thanks.
I have 300W flat panel stuck to the roof of mine, and the roof indents provide the ideal cooling effect.

Special Rapporteur
You need to be careful with flexible panels - it's best if possible to avoid bridging the channels in the roof without supporting the panel, as the thing you don't want is too much continual flexing (e.g. when you're driving a 70 on the motorway).

Solar panels don't really need cooling - they get slightly less efficient at high temperatures, but the effect is not permanent, and any cooling needs to be even, or you will get some parts that are a lot hotter than others, which will lead to thermal stress within the panel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts