VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

We are thinking of travelling down with the Eriba to northern Italy in the summer from Dunkirk, through France, maybe Switzerland. Can anyone recommend a route/campsites etc for a young family
Regards Simon

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well worth travelling through the Alps. Chamonix and Mont Blanc are worht considering for a one day stop. Plenty of campsites in the Chamonix valley. You can access Switzerland easily from here and also the tunnel into Italy. Whatever you choose, have a great trip by making the travelling part of the holiday. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to buy the ACSI book of campsites. For about £11 you get a handbook with details of campsites right across Europe (includes GPS details to find sites!) and a membership card that lets you have special prices - the campsites are graded and cost €11, €12 or €15. We stayed just outside Madrid last month and it cost me €15 for a night - my friend booked through one of the UK camping clubs and it cost £22. Only problem is that the special prices are only applicable outside the peak holiday times.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Depends on if you want chikdren entertainment. We dont and found Camping Municipal to be our fave. cheap, quiet, well kept and basic. They tend to get busier and more crowded the closer to the coast you get.

We stayed in dozens of them whilst travelling, you'll find good ones and not so good, all part of the fun.

We're doing it agian this summer, must make a travel diary this time - Thats a job for the wife :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies,
Thinking about changing the route as I really don't want to be paying for loads of tolls in France, the possible new route would be Dunkirk, through Belgium,Germany, Switzerland then Italy.Any help with campsites or general info would be great,
thanks again simon

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for the replies,
Thinking about changing the route as I really don't want to be paying for loads of tolls in France, the possible new route would be Dunkirk, through Belgium,Germany, Switzerland then Italy.Any help with campsites or general info would be great,
thanks again simon
Hello,
Did you complete your trip? We are planning our first major trip in the van for next summer with our 2 & 5 year old. We are hoping to do the same route as you but maybe with holland and Germany too. Can you offer any advice and tips? Thank you very much
Simon

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't bother with the route altering tbh, there's a toll for Austria too and most of the Autostrada in Italy is tolled. Dunkirk to Grenoble is around £50 in tolls but a very easy drive.

We went out this September. Dunkirk, Belgium, Germany (past lake constance) Austria, Italy (via bolzano route) all over italy then back up through Tuscany to French Alps then home straight up through France. have got the costings of all the tolls and fees somewhere.

Fill up with Diesel in Austria or Germany. Italian fuel prices are hellish expensive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts