VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
My girlfriend recently bought a 1997 Transporter Camper and after 6 months we had to take it in to have the engine replaced (won't go into details here). It cost over £2000 and now within weeks of it being returned it died on her. Neither of us are that engine savvy and need to know what may have caused a leak in the water tank (it was empty and the engine overheated). Could it be that anti-freeze was not added when the engine was re-built and now in the cold snap it's burst something? basically we would appreciate anyone's opinion on how much responsibility the garage should take... after all 2 grand is a lot of money and you'd expect basic checks to have been made. Any feedback welcome!
Thanks and happy new year!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I would say "within weeks" would put the garage that fitted the engine firmly in the hot seat as far as responsibility goes.

It would obviously depend on what was found to be the cause of the fault, but would certainly be talking to them.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Is the water defo leaking out? or has it boiled away?
How many miles have you done in the 6 months? is it used daily.
As above I would get and independant inspection but I would try and find where the water is going.
Look in the oil filler cap for the milky or creamy residue, if it looks a bit like yohgurt the head could have gone straight away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts