VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can somebody ease my mind somewhat please? I bought vw transporter 2007, and been sold a lemon,, it's done 351000 miles,,I think I might need to put in a reconditioned engine because of a suspected internal cylinder/block crack :(
Can anyone please advise if that's worth doing or to count my losses and learn a lesson.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
What engine is it? 1.9 or 2.5. What makes you think the block is cracked? What symptoms does it have? Poor or rough running, overheating, coolant loss.

In terms of is it worth it, can you do the work yourself of are you planning to use a somebody? Stuff like this will all factor in the total cost.

Is the rest of the van in good condition?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying, I'm no way doing repairs myself lol.
Its 1.9tdi , the van runs fine but it's under excess pressure in coolent system and it loses coolent all over the hoses and inside the passenger wheel arch,
The rest of the van is very good condition.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Have you had the cooling system pressure tested? This will give some indication of the system and engine. Worth checking the coolant cap to ensure it is relieving excess pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not properly pressure tested, I'm having that done soon to see exactly where the coolent loss is coming from,, just seen that if theres pressure still in when removing the vap when fully cold is not a good sign,
Because of high mileage if it turns out to be a crackedd head, thought it might be good to have a remanufactured engine put in,
I was put in doubt by someone who said to get rid of :( as the 351000 miles could have taken its toll on the rest of the van i:e
Electrics, turbo, bearings, he said even the sear has been bouncing up and down for all them miles lol.
I really like the van and it's my first one, he's worried. Saying you can spend money on an engine and clutch ,, and then something else could go pop! I think he's being a bit pessimistic but I don't know.
Thanks again for replying and the suggestions 👍👍⁹

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be great ,hopefully an easy fix :)
Thank you Builder Jay 👍

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Sounds like head gasket. Mine had the exact same symptoms. It’s an easy fix for a mechanic.
This was something I was considering too but could not be 100% sure, hence the questions.

I had a Land Rover years ago which had a cracked block between 3 and 4 cylinders and had the symptoms in my first post of rough running, coolant loss and overheating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's pretty common to see headgasket failure on the 1.9TDI at higher mileage. Apparently its caused by the head studs stretching and allowing the head to lift ever so slightly under boost. The higher output variants found in cars didn't suffer as much as they had better head studs to cope with the higher boost. Its an easy enough fix and you'll want a machine shop to skim the head and reseat the valves whilst it's apart. The alternative is fitting a PD130 from the cars although that in itself has its own set of challenges and probably adds up to more work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 1.9TDI engine is actually one of the best for putting miles on, and there are plenty of good recon engines around if the worst is diagnosed. Go to a mechanic you trust and maybe get a second opinion if they conclude its terminal.

One recommendation I have to all of you van owners is to run your vehicles on Shell V Power diesel. As a new member I expect there is a thread on here somewhere, and I'm only saying this as my 2014 BiTDi 180bhp van has done over 400,000 miles and only been run on that fuel. It is a quality fuel that will lengthen your engine life, help your turbos and prevent clogging of DPFs. Oil changes regularly are important too.

Finally if you love the van and it's solid, keep it running until the engine finally dies, then convert it to electric! That's what I plan to do eventually. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr Escape vehicle there's some very kind people in here. Thank you for such sound advice ! And taking the time to reply 👍
Really appreciated 👍

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I've got a 2.5 BNZ, had to have the engine reconned and have a good company for you to go too if you want your engine being reconditioned rather than buying a full unit👍
I was lucky knowing the turbo was replaced by the previous owner.
Good luck with what route you choose, always helpful people on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts