VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, relatively new to forums and seeking advice, t4 2.5 (85bhp), 1999, gearbox has been whining for a while, and today it finally gave up (5th) , could anyone recommend a good online supplier for a recon gearbox, or a decent gearbox service/repair in shrewsbury/shropshire, van is driveable(ish) but 5th gear making a worse noise than all the others.. cheers

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi Mate,

Don't know if you can do this but is possible on a 2.4d gearbox ( 5th gear upgrade) can you not replace the 5th gesrcog for your gearbox ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for reply, the box sounds like a bearing has gone, would imagine gearbox would require stripdown and rebuild, just trying to compare prices, and whether theres someone local(ish), i could probably manage to get box out, but to strip and rebuild a box is way out of my know how!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
cheers for reply, the box sounds like a bearing has gone, would imagine gearbox would require stripdown and rebuild, just trying to compare prices, and whether theres someone local(ish), i could probably manage to get box out, but to strip and rebuild a box is way out of my know how!!
I'm not sure about your location mate but be very wary about the cheapest option when it come to gearbox's you get what you pay for.
Your cheapest safe option would be to source a known good second-hand one from somewhere because a rebuild will cost you a fortune if it's done right. I found one a few months back that had the 5th gear welded on the main-shaft.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, relatively new to forums and seeking advice, t4 2.5 (85bhp), 1999, gearbox has been whining for a while, and today it finally gave up (5th) , could anyone recommend a good online supplier for a recon gearbox, or a decent gearbox service/repair in shrewsbury/shropshire, van is driveable(ish) but 5th gear making a worse noise than all the others.. cheers
Hi, I am pretty new to the forum too and looking for somewhere to get my gearbox reconditioned or a second hand replacement (AJT EWB TDI). I live just over the border near Oswestry - did you find anywhere decent round here? Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts