VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new to this so please be gentle, we bought our first van about a week ago and the guy we got it from said he had disconnected the central locking as he had locked him self out of the van with the keys insid which i have no reason to dis belive, however i would like to reconnect it, could anyone kindly advise me on the basics of howe the central locking system works and/or how to re-connect. :*

THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
2 master units in the front doors. Slave units in the other doors.
You should have a relay control unit under the dash somewhere. Check the fuse to see if it has been down powered by remove in it.
Pull both front door panels of and have a look at the wires going through the door bellows.

·
Registered
305 Posts
One of the most important things to check is the rubber when you open your front van doors, inside this rubber is where cables go from the van to the door, These cables often get damaged and even seperated from years of opening and closing the doors, Ive seen some nasties when the rubber was pulled back, you can put the rubber back no bother you may have to re run the cable with some trailer cable youll find in any good auto factors, if needs be re run and get the solder out!

Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
One of the most important things to check is the rubber when you open your front van doors, inside this rubber is where cables go from the van to the door, These cables often get damaged and even seperated from years of opening and closing the doors, Ive seen some nasties when the rubber was pulled back, you can put the rubber back no bother you may have to re run the cable with some trailer cable youll find in any good auto factors, if needs be re run and get the solder out!

Good luck!
Would second this advice, mine did exactly the same and I have had to rewire both doors as the wires were either frayed or completely broken, central locking would not stay unlocked!
Let me know if you need any advice on replacing the wires
Paul

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ill post you a link from a guy on the Irish Regional forums that had this same problem, i gave mine a going over too to be on the safe side as they were a bit frayed and taped before

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lads yee might not have central locking, some people think its the key with the button on it, mine is simply when the key is turned all the doors lock or open, but then again some late vans dont even have any, depends on the year and the spec.

Lift off your door cards and look to the bottom left inside the metal if it has a locking unit there then you have central locking, if your locking doesnt work and you didnt realise you had any then its simpy a case of the cables been frayed in the door jam open up those rubbers lads!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts