VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to have another go at doing my van, as after a summer and going to various shows (and looking on here) i realized actually what could be achieved and that my van maybe looked good from a far but was far from good. Brought it back in may for 2.5k which i thought was reasonable looking like this:

Below is what i got it looking like by the end of the summer, i spent virtually nothing as i made and brought secondhand things.

Started by doing a few things to the outside, which included getting the roof sprayed black, getting a bonnet bra, new number plates, a window put in, new lights frint and rear and blacking the bumpers.

Window by Wickedtintz nr camborne, would highly reccomend.

most recently i took up the floor, ground back and treated the rust

Next on the list was to flashing tape the pannels to get rid of the prang you get when shutting doors and for general vibrating

then a layer of bubble wrap foil to start insulating, pretty standard

I also went through the process of project power tuning, as its only a 1.9td and i live near lots of hills. Cant believe the difference this made!

BUT then just before christmas some idiot managed to reverse into it with some speed whilst it was parked.

Finally got things sorted through insurance and yesterday it got taken off for repair.
After speaking to the body shop and arranging a price iv now decided to get all the little bad bits sorted and have a blowover, so no van for two weeks but hopefully il get a nice looking one back!
For now its just drawing up plans of the interior, cant wait to get building!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi mate
nice wheels, one of mine at the welders to repair a crack on inner rim.
always buying bits like you as fitting out the inside of van from scratch.
good luck bud.
still trying to find one of them female types, as in one of ya pics. no luck yet.
if the missis sees this im in deep s::t.
ps this is not intended for you all to moan about wheel repairs. so dont.. pm me instead..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Same lay out as my old van. Works really well and was hella practical when wanting to use my van for moving large items. Only down side i found was seat belts for extra passengers.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just built the frame for my interior if you want an idea of how mine looks :) I dont have as much floor space though, as i left space on the right side to put boards. Here is the link if you want to see :cool:I:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145268
Yea that looks pretty similar to the bed set up I had in mind, any idea how far off the wall it is when it's in seat position? I'm hoping mine is going to be 610mm, so I have a bit more room, and will still be able to store my boards under it. Also I'm gonna have to support the front of it some how as I don't have the bulkhead for support, looking good tho mate

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd go for a vinyl wrap on the bonnet instead of the bra, got a CMC bra on mine and although I think it's a great fit, it tends to sweat in the summer and others have seen this cause the paint to blister.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So i decided to have another go at doing my van, as after a summer and going to various shows (and looking on here) i realized actually what could be achieved and that my van maybe looked good from a far but was far from good. Brought it back in may for 2.5k which i thought was reasonable looking like this:

Below is what i got it looking like by the end of the summer, i spent virtually nothing as i made and brought secondhand things.

Started by doing a few things to the outside, which included getting the roof sprayed black, getting a bonnet bra, new number plates, a window put in, new lights frint and rear and blacking the bumpers.

Window by Wickedtintz nr camborne, would highly reccomend.

most recently i took up the floor, ground back and treated the rust

Next on the list was to flashing tape the pannels to get rid of the prang you get when shutting doors and for general vibrating

then a layer of bubble wrap foil to start insulating, pretty standard

I also went through the process of project power tuning, as its only a 1.9td and i live near lots of hills. Cant believe the difference this made!

BUT then just before christmas some idiot managed to reverse into it with some speed whilst it was parked.

Finally got things sorted through insurance and yesterday it got taken off for repair.
After speaking to the body shop and arranging a price iv now decided to get all the little bad bits sorted and have a blowover, so no van for two weeks but hopefully il get a nice looking one back!
For now its just drawing up plans of the interior, cant wait to get building!!
The van is looking su-weeeet! Did the flashing tape make a huge difference, as far as you can tell? I was thinking of putting down some roofing felt underlay (torch-on) on the deck and the side panels for the same sort of reasons...

Looking good tho fella, keeping my eyes on this.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The van is looking su-weeeet! Did the flashing tape make a huge difference, as far as you can tell? I was thinking of putting down some roofing felt underlay (torch-on) on the deck and the side panels for the same sort of reasons...

Looking good tho fella, keeping my eyes on this.
Cheers, yea the flashing tape is brilliant, just a quiet thud when i shut the doors now rather than a horrible prang that rattles through the van. Also keeps it from vibrating on motorway trips, would 100% reccomendT:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After a bit of debate iv now decided the bra is staying off the van, over the weekend i managed to finish insulating, here are a few boring pics...

used cellotex type insulation stuck in with expanding foam to stop it jiggiling about and squeeking when im on the move, i then covered it all with a final layer of foil bubble wrap. I also went over the flashing on the arches with it, virtually no tyre roar anymoreT:
Next job is to run cables for speakers, screen etc

1 - 20 of 161 Posts