VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I thought it was about time I put together a project log. So far this has been loads of fun and I've only just got started.

Here's what I started out with:

I had the windows put in by the Garage I bought it from. '04 86K 2.5 TDi, drives like a dream.

First things first, I had to tint the rear windows to comply with my insurance (I assume for security reasons).

Sorry for the poor photo quality

The real work has been happening on the inside. After tinting windows I popped out the bulkhead (for sale if anyone's interested).

I purchased a set of Mazda Bongo Seats including Rails off a friendly bloke on Ebay called Brian. He did me a great deal and fitted some 4 point harnesses for me too!

Then came the mission of trying to install the damn things! In all hoesty I really enjoyed myself, but it isn't half committing when you drop the fuel tank off and realise you have to finish it that day otherwise you're not going to able to use the van the next day when you need it!

The first task was to lay out where I wanted the seats and rails to be

Then I had to jack the van up, put it on Axle stands and start removing the plastic covers underneath so that I could see where I was drilling through.

With the plastic removed it was easy to find the 6 bolts holding the fuel tank up. Rather too late I realised I'd left 30kg of fuel in it, so there wasn't going to be an easy way of dropping the tank down by hand. In the end I put some boards on my jack and lowered it onto some bricks with that.

Then I drilled the 8 mounting holes and put the rails in place. Since I had only lowered the fuel tank and not removed it, it was still in the way. Getting 2 of the bolts in was an absolute nightmare. In the end I fed some thin wire through and dragged the bolts up through the hole. Got it all tightened up only to realise I'd forgotten to put the spreader plates in (kindly provided by Brian). So I had to undo the whole lot again, line up the spreader plates and start again.

At least I had the technique nailed for the second attempt, so it didn't take anywhere near as long.
Once the rail above the fuel tank was in place, I remounted the fuel tank, at least now the pressure was off because I'd be able to drive the van again.

Mounting the second rail was far easier as it was only obscured by a plastic tray. After 1/2 an hour I had the second rail mounted and tightened.

Then just put it all back together again. Here is the final result:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a couple of weekends away so didn't get a lot done. The next task was to cut and remount the floor that I had to take up to mount the seats.

The plan was to have a slightly raised floor height in the seating area so that the rails were flush with the floor.

After cutting the boards close to the back of the seat rails I bolted the floor at the rear back down.

Then I had to put in a frame to support the floor at it's higher level:

Then is was just a case of drilling pilot holes and screwing it down with some 1" self tapping screws. I did splash out on some nice Ryobi cordless power tools to make life easier. The Drill and Jigsaw have been worth every penny.

Once the frame was screwed down it was time to put the floor in and hope the cutouts for the rails lined up.

The black plastic bits came with the seats to hide the rails.

I was dead chuffed when this lot went back in as it's really tidied up the inside.

Next thing was a bit of bling for the exterior, I was just about to buy a chrome grill set on ebay when I found a post on here by someone who had bought some chrome trim strip from Halfrauds as a cheaper alternative. £10 bought enough chrome trim to do both upper and lower grills. It was simply a case of measure the length you need, cut with a pair of scissors, then trim the ends to match the profile of the grill. Apply the supplied double sided tape and stick to the grill.
2 down 8 to go:

Once they were all installed we could unpeel the protective plastic:

£10 can make a hell of a difference to the look of a van;
Before:

After:

That's about it for now, although here is a sneak preview of what's coming next....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after a weekend of toil and trouble I've managed to get the van lined.

It was really good fun as it's such a rewarding thing to accomplish, but it didn't half test my patients!

First a big thanks to Mega Van Mats for supplying all the carpet and glue. Really helpful and very prompt with sending the bits out.

Here's a few shot's in progress:

Sound deadening with Flashing Tape

Lining the wheel arches

The tailgate (my least favourite as I did it in situ in one piece!)

Some of the finished panels (pretty easy, although got some creases in the first one)

All in and bolted down

Finished (sorry it's dark now)

All in all dead chuffed with the outcome. Next up will be a little ICE!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately didn't get the time to do a lot of work this weekend as I had hoped.

I did manage to get the split charge relay mounted to the battery and fed the 12V positive lines under the cabin and up through a gromet under the passenger seat. Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's. Just need to find an alternator connection and I'll be ready for the leisure battery.

Also coming soon, Alloys!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the split charge is in. Once I'd found a spare gromet under the passenger seat and the correct source to hijack, this was a pretty simple mod.

First up I mounted the relay and wired it to the battery:

I fed the wires through the engine bay, zip tied them into position and then up through a spare grommet under the passenger seat:

I connected the 12v signal to the relay block as advised (sorry can't remember where the link is). Checked it with a volt meter and it's all good. Haven't actually had chance to fit the battery, but it should be a quick finish.

Here's a view inside the passenger seat (hence all the junk):

Just waiting on the spigot rings, studs and nuts so that I can get the wheels fitted (can't wait!).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted recently, I've been waiting for bits abd going out biking.

I've finally finished up my current upgrades for a while (next would be colour coding, but I need to save some money and pay off what I've already done, so that can wait).

Anyway here's the last couple of bits. Sorry for the poor photo's, I'll try and get some in the light at the weekend:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The split charge relay was a halfords job that has 5 wires. Earth, +12v input, +12V Output(x2), 12 Alternator start signal.

The photo's above show how the relay itself is mounted.

Once it's in the wires are in the cabin I found a alternator signal thanks to This Thread. Once that's all working I just routed one of the outputs into the back.

I strapped the battery down with to a couple of tie down points. I also used one of these to attach the earth to as it's a decent chassis connection.

There is a fuse mounted between the main battery and the relay, a fuse between the alternator signal and the wire I connected to it.

The cable ends, connectors are all available are vastly over inflated prices at halfords (mush cheaper elsewhere, but I was in a hurry).

I'm not sure what info you need, but feel free to ask specific questions and eventually I may come up with a useful answer!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just came across this while searching for Bongo seats, did you fit the shoulder harnesses yourself to the seats or did they come like that? Nice build by the wayT:T:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great series of posts, especially the carpeting photos.
I'd love to see your final ICE install. Where have you mounted the sub and any amps?
I have a Van, with no rear seats, and am planning the layout of the amp, sub and rear speakers (relocate the poor job the stereo company did on my Kenwood system).
I know I could carpet the van myself, but am quite apprehensive. I would like someone to show close up posts of the hidden mounting clips for the rear panels, vs using the OEM screw out ones.
I'm about to start working on the interior in the next 2 weeks.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

Cheers bud. When I bought the seats the guy provided the shoulder harnesses. They bolt onto existing mounting points on the seat. It's easy enough to do, although the guy did have to put on proper extension pieces so that the belts sit in the right place.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they are nice, yes they do rub very slightly on full lock, usually when reversing. I've actually taken them off now and they are for sale. I've gone back to the original 16" steelies as I do a lot of commuting and the alloys were lowering my fuel consumption a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts