VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wouldnt think so as the red stuff are mor efor track days etc and need heat to be at their best, I run the red stuff in my kit car and they need a real stamp on the pedal untill they warm up. Yellow stuff or green stuff should be adequate if they do them

·
Registered
180 Posts
EBC do a pad for commercials called the Ultimax.
Have used Green and Redstuff on cars and rate them highly.
When my brakes need replacing i'm gonna try some Ultimax as they will or i hope should be cheaper than oem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be interested to what you think of these pads once you have them fitted
I'll be fitting them as soon as they arrive I'm quite excited !!! Going to persuade my mate (mechanic) to change the fluid to DOT 5.1 as I hear it has a higher boiling point.

I'll post up what I think.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use DOT 5.1 in all my vehicles. As you say higher boiling point and the added benefit that if you spill some on the paintwork it won't damage it.T:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't changed the fluid yet but apparently its recommended that you use braided hoses with 5.1 fluid !! Not convinced tho...

Anyway fitted the new pads last night with new discs 308mm and after a little spongyness they have bedded in nicely. When cold they are a little lazy but don't take much warming up but when warm bit very well so everyday driving is spot on. I've not had the chance to boot it properly and get them cooking but when I do I'll post up.

Apparently GSF sell them part code DPC1516 Think it works out slightly cheap from GSF and you can collect.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haven't changed the fluid yet but apparently its recommended that you use braided hoses with 5.1 fluid !! Not convinced tho...

Anyway fitted the new pads last night with new discs 308mm and after a little spongyness they have bedded in nicely. When cold they are a little lazy but don't take much warming up but when warm bit very well so everyday driving is spot on. I've not had the chance to boot it properly and get them cooking but when I do I'll post up.

Apparently GSF sell them part code DPC1516 Think it works out slightly cheap from GSF and you can collect.
Braided hose are only there to give you more pedal feel as they do not swell under pressure. Fluid type makes no difference.
You may be confusing with DOT 5.0 which is not suitable for ABS.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wouldnt think so as the red stuff are mor efor track days etc and need heat to be at their best, I run the red stuff in my kit car and they need a real stamp on the pedal untill they warm up. Yellow stuff or green stuff should be adequate if they do them
I'm pretty sure Red Stuff are available for the T5. It might cime under Caravelle but I did write down the number somewhere myself with the intention of using them when I replace discs and pads. Had them on my Caddy previously and thought they were great, especially the lack of dust, and worked straight from cold.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty sure Red Stuff are available for the T5. It might cime under Caravelle but I did write down the number somewhere myself with the intention of using them when I replace discs and pads. Had them on my Caddy previously and thought they were great, especially the lack of dust, and worked straight from cold.
Dig out the dig details it'll be interesting to see. I might put them on the back.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Red pads are no good for a standard van that includes the sport line,
Having part owned a race car Porsche, you need to get them to temperature before they work right, they may squeel when cold.
Your insurance company will not like them should you crash when they are cold if they say you caused the accident by changing the pads eg longer braking distance when cold.
Have you ever boiled brake fluid? I have........ once in a Porsche 70mph no brakes is not fun. Cause long term storage seized brake pad in caliper.

Just take you standard calipers out paint them red, save your money.

His thread is all about you wasting your money in my view, as a ex race car owner and Performance car owner.

As for braided hoses, great on a race car or a classic car with no servo assistance

Green pads are better and less dust. But that is if you still want to waste money.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Each to their own. If people want to try different pads they have the right to do so, and the colour of calipers has nothing to do with the original question asked.
EBC's own web literature http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/
I wrote down these numbers from their catalogue DP31907C and DP31556C but double check them.

I found the stock VAG compound, also mentioned by others, to be very good. It's just the amount of dust that annoys me. I've had Green Stuff on various other cars and generally found them to perform similar to OEM (but then again I don't drive like a moron) but less dust and longer lasting, although can squeal while bedding in. Red Stuff I've only ever tried on my previous Caddy Life. Very little dust and I found them to work with no difference to stock OEM pads, even from cold but longer lasting. Speaking only from a personal perspective, I'd go for Red Stuff whenever available simply for the significantly reduced dust, and that's because it suits my circumstances. I do 500 to 700 miles a week and on the stock pads my wheels are black after a single day. The only down side I've found is cost - a ton for a pair of front pads.

Like I said, each their own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts