VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it`s a regular thread on here I appreciate, but i`m looking around on here to read if anyone uses this (half a 250ml bottle per 50litre tank) with every fill up?

The Rhino Diesel has excellent reviews, but a bit pricey, so i`m using the Redex stuff. We all want to look after our vans, so naturally I will want to do things like this to help keep my `bus happy:)

I just happened to read about it on other forums, to get a more rounded view on this additive, and came across a few threads saying to put it in "every now and then" rather than every time, maybe before a long journey..... and after one thread asked the same as me, do you use it every fill-up, a few threads were saying NOT to use it EVERY fill-up "unless you want a big bill for new injectors, as it`s highly corrosive and sustained use will result in your fuel system being digested" :confused:

Old subject I know guys, cheers for reading and for any comments.

Ritchie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I wouldnt go putting it in everytime. Thats like bleaching the toilet everytime you flush it.. yea it will be super clean but, it will only get 'so' clean then your just doing it for fun.

A happy bus would be happy with once in a blue moon. Your wallet would be happier too!!

Mat

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm a Rhino fan and put in 100ml every fill up. It's not that expensive really. A:

I've found the van runs smoother and quieter. I'll be upgrading the injectors soon so will be interested in seeing how they look.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I add a bit of 2 stroke oil most fill ups (250ml to 500 ml per 75 litre fill). It emulsifies with the diesel and helps for a cleaner burn. You can feel a difference on a 2.5tdi 102hp

But I am going to give Rhino Deisel a try. With that you only add a small amount anyway. It is put together by folks that know about diesels so will be safe to use and has the sort of enhancers that are more likely to do the job right.

T:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting comments guys, thanksT: May just pop some in every fifth tank untill I use up the 2 bottles I have bought.

Cheers

Ritchie

·
6,680 Posts
Hi vwnemo,

Whatever choice you make I just wanted to demonstrate the low cost of using DR.

it basically works out at £0.41p per 10 L of fuel when bought in 500ml quantities
and £0.25p per 10 L of fuel when bought in the 2.5L container.

When balanced against its benefits it gives, it is in our opinion quite cheap.

Yes, a bottle does cost £16.20, but it goes a long long way.

Kind regards.

Ron.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi vwnemo,

Whatever choice you make I just wanted to demonstrate the low cost of using DR.

it basically works out at £0.41p per 10 L of fuel when bought in 500ml quantities
and £0.25p per 10 L of fuel when bought in the 2.5L container.

When balanced against its benefits it gives, it is in our opinion quite cheap.

Yes, a bottle does cost £16.20, but it goes a long long way.

Kind regards.

Ron.
I've just started using it (max dose for first fill) but seems smoother alredy T:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have to admit, and feel free to tell me im biased, but the only things i have genuinely found to improve performance, fuel economy or similar are 2 stroke and diesel rhino. Redex i used to add to my vectra and i'm not sure it did much at all to be honest - except the peace of mind knowing i was trying to do what was right. Plus at half a bottle per tank, it wasnt too cheap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The garage I use said something about redex actually being bad for the engine, something to do with crystallising and causing problems. They are brilliant mechanics (Dunnings auto in Weymouth) and service autos for fleets from all over the country. I really trust what they say, especially after giving them my new van for pads and discs all round as advised by another garage who had a look at my handbrake. They gave me the van back with a small bill for tightening the handbrake, and said there were nearly new pads all round and the rear discs would have about 5000 mile or more left on them, front were fine for much longer.......I suspect not many places would do that.

Stopped using redex and just add a bit of mineral two stroke (300ml) every full tank. Engine seems 'looser' and cleaner with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Like other posters, I use Redex or Wynns every 4th tank fill. Worried that overuse of additives can help breakdown useful normal occurring deposits, that act as a combustion seal. T:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Im a fan of the forte treatment, costs about 20 quid, but I only use it when I service the van, so when you spread it over that many miles its impact per litre is almost nothing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use Redex every time I re-fill the tank. It says to use one measure per tank & quantifies an average full tank as far less than the T4 will hold so I stick to this so it's more diluted than it would be on a vehicle with a smaller tank, 1 bottle does quite a few tankfulls, I've not read that it would do any harm so maybe I should look into this too.

I know the difference in drive quality with it in is remarkable, also I used to only get 30 mpg on a run from Bristol to Poole before I used it, I now get 36 mpg on the same run!

I've never understood why my old 2.4 sound so bad in winter, to my mind once the engine is up to temp why should it seem so rough in colder air temperatures, if anything I thought colder air through the intake aided performance? So i'll definitely keep using it during the winter months every top up as it's horrible & rough to drive without it.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
So if these additives are so good, making it run smoother and more economically, why don't the fuel companies include them in diesel already?

·
Registered
779 Posts
So if these additives are so good, making it run smoother and more economically, why don't the fuel companies include them in diesel already?
I guess fuels have changed over the years for various reasons including environmental ones, engine technology has moved on massively since the old 2.4 non turbo in my old bus so maybe it needs a bit of help? I cant answer the question but there is absolutely no doubt in the audible & economical benefits in mine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A very good question. I just find it impossible to believe that small companies with research budgets to match have found something that massive petrol companies with the most state of the art laboratories employing 'cream of the crop' scientists have failed to find.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Because they make a greater profit producing the fuel they sell as cheaply as possible I:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you're looking for cheap fun try low ash mineral 2 stroke oil.
I chuck in about 250ml with each tank full and it does seem to run smoother & quieter.

I have tried redex in the past - noticed no difference.
Tried a heavy application of millers diesel power - put my van into limp mode:eek:, I had to fill up regularly to thin it out quickly.:confused: I think my timing was out then but my engine/ecu does seem to be sensitive to fuel additives.
...It does however seem to like 2 stroke oil so I'll be sticking with that.T:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only used Redex when the van failed on emissions, gave it a blast up the M2 went bak to the test station and it passed.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Because they make a greater profit producing the fuel they sell as cheaply as possible I:
Correct. Which is why most supermarket fuel is so bad. They may go to the same place to for their bulk fuel but the amount of additives (over and above what has to be in there to be up to the legal standard) is minimized because they sell the fuel as a loss leader.

·
6,680 Posts
Amen.

Profit is a major driver of course.

The case for high quality additives is very much cast in stone and widely accepted in the industry. I could write 10 pages as to why but it is sufficient to say that the main drivers for additives are Environment, Legislation and Economic value to the consumer.

Fuel companies themselves offer Premium Fuels, these fuels are additized fuels and substantiate their viability.

A prime example of additive industry response to changing market conditions is provided by the introduction
of environmentally friendly very low sulphur diesel fuels.

These fuels have, because of the absence of natural lubricity, generated higher wear in fuel pumps leading to premature failure. The use of lubricity additives has restored the lubricity of these new fuels to that of more conventional diesel fuel.
Further changes generated by environmental need or other forces will undoubtedly follow.

There will be an increasing need for industry and the legislators to make informed judgments balancing what may be major
benefits against small disadvantages - perhaps a significant improvement in air quality to be balanced against
the need for extra precautions in product handling.

Interesting conversation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts