VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

fully loaded with camping gear, kites and beer!

I decided it was time to do a better job, spend a bit more time and effort.
I'm not after a full conversion, just a comfortable place to sleep,
all cooking washing up etc, gets done in the awning when we go away.

Heres the story so far,

had to build up the floor to accommodate the runners for the Bongo seat.

Cut runners into the floor and recover.

Next job was get some LED's fitted, Don't be fooled how simple this looks it took a whole day, rooting the wires hitting double skins in the roof.

Carpet next, we decided to do it in one.
screw all panels in place, cover in glue then pull the carpet over and stick down,
the only joins are 2 in the roof at the rear + all the screws are covered.

I think the time spent on the LED's paid off.

Arches covered and seat in place + I've now got 3 point seat belts in the rear.

And for a bit of bling.
the step has now been siliconed to cover the gap.

Thats pretty much it at the moment,

Next on the list are 2 sunroofs and roof bars.

Remove seat cushions, fit with a flat board, memory foam, covered to match the front seats and make a panel at the rear to make up the bed.
I'm also going to have a slim unit made to fit under the side window, thinking hard on hows the best way to make that work.

A very big thank you to Ed at http://www.celticmotorhomes.com/ he specializes in bongos but moving into VW's. Quality workmanship and a top bloke !

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
loving that colour mate :)

those Audi wheels are popular but i reckon there the best looking alloys for the T4,,what sizes are the wheels/tyres are they load rated,,does it make the van drive/handle better

the LED"s are great too,,did you make up a separate panel to go between the side panels & roof,,,,,,,,,i too know what you mean about routing through the roof section i did i wire from the middle interior light down the passenger pillow to the passenger foot well step for some groovy LED neon tiny blue lights what a job hours of work but worth it

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Looking good, only comment being you really shouldn't use solid core wire for the electrics. Unless the cable / connections are secured they cores can break with excess vibration. Use singles next time in the conduits, they are multi-core and much easier to route etc.

Sweet colour too.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Lovely job that mate and the LEDS do set it off a treat. Can I ask where you got them and have you got a link?

Keep up the good work mate, looks very tidy! A:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments:).

"those Audi wheels are popular but i reckon there the best looking alloys for the T4,,what sizes are the wheels/tyres are they load rated,,does it make the van drive/handle better"

they're 18's with 235 tyres and are load rated, they do make the van handle better though with the suspension lowered the ride is more harsh. a small price to pay in the name of coolness;)

"the LED"s are great too,,did you make up a separate panel to go between the side panels & roof."

No, just sunk the LED's straight in the holes after carpeting.

"Looking good, only comment being you really shouldn't use solid core wire for the electrics. Unless the cable / connections are secured they cores can break with excess vibration. Use singles next time in the conduits, they are multi-core and much easier to route etc."

It must be the photo, it is multi-core wire not single.

"Lovely job that mate and the LEDS do set it off a treat. Can I ask where you got them and have you got a link?"

No sorry, I'll try and find out and let you know.

I fitted the rail covers today and a polished aluminum strip between the cab mat and and the lino in the back, I'll post some more pics when I get a bit more done:ILU:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
looking great! but I would say that! I have the same set up! Dont care what anyone says about Bongo seats, theyr cheap as chips and sooooo comfy to sleep on. and crash tested! I:I:I: would go for this set up over a rock n roll bed any day.

·
Registered
406 Posts
love the look of them front seats what they out of and wheres the lights from???
is that a flexifoil buggy hangin on the back lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
love the look of them front seats what they out of and wheres the lights from???
is that a flexifoil buggy hangin on the back lol
The seats are out of a Rover MGZR.

The buggy is a RS speed, good guess though;)

I'm finding out about the lights.
I got them from Celtic Motorhomes but Ed's not a supplier,
Hes going to let me know.

EDIT....

The lights are from http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk...ml&WD=led&PN=Flush_Fitting.html#a30338#a30338

It looks like you've got to be a registered customer!

·
Registered
406 Posts
cheers nick i just been on ebay and noticed they do yellow seats im going to have to copy you lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
nicley done i do think that bongo seats work soo well in t4s i had two sets in mine to make a really big bed:), and i had the skinny unit down the side to house a battery, gas bottle and cupboards, it also made a great arm rest, and then i had a unit at the back of the van with the fridge, oven and sink in,
ive pulled it all out for a change around now cos im putting a full side unit in, but im getting someone to cut the bongo seats down( some convertors do this) so that they are two seaters intead of three, looking like a real nice vanA:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts