VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Good question.

I was going to get mine degreased, cleaned and powder coated which was about, as mentioned, £30-40 per wheel. I'm broke and cant afford that so clean, wire brush, wire wool, sandpaper, clean again and I'm gunna use metal polish or protector to stop more rust.

Bit of a patina look, get them painted when funds allow.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you want to DIY , its a bit of a mission to clean them up manually , to get a clean enough surface to apply any sort of paint , etc , thats going to last more than a short while ..!! Realistically , tyres off , shot/sandblast , van off road for a few days , while you rattle can them (or , whatever !) unless you have a spare set of wheels/tyres . Depends whether you have plans later , to swop them , etc. on what you do , I suppose !! Even if money is tight , its well worth getting a professional job cleaning them ready for paint , or whatever , saves hours and hours ..!!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
This is the approach I would take (assuming the wheels are not totally rust covered!) ....

Remove all loose rust.
Sand down where possible.
Prime with Rust-oleum 'Rust Reformer' Direct to Rust Primer - need probably 2 cans for the 4 wheels if doing a couple of coats
Paint with Hammerite - hammered or smooth finish available - hammered probably best if the wheels are rough. Darker colours best again if rough. Can buy in spray-can form or tins of paint for brush application. If you have a compressor and spray gun, you can thin the tinned stuff and spray, which works well but tends to clog up quickly so need to work fast and probably clean gun between wheels, but does give a great finish.
Couple of coats of Clearcoat ideally, but not essential as Hammerite is pretty tough.
Follow the above routine and don't need tyres off and can do them as time alloys (1 a night say?)

I've done a few sets of 4x4 'styled' wheels this way and looked pretty good afterward T:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just had mine done, strip everything off, shot blasted, zinc primed then powder coated. A:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Agree with Hoovie , if that suits you , but its only short-term.. Even pro. cleaning cant get into the inner/outer welded join , 100% , and hand prep. will never get the rest chemically clean enough , even touching it with bare skin contaminates it , ...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I 'did' want to DIY as I'm looking to sell them but I think I'll just sell them as they are as it sounds like hard work :D

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I just got some wire brush drill attachments... Wheels left on the van ... Down as far as you want to go... Tin of primer and a couple of rattle cans then some lacquer ..bout £15 ...lasts a couple of years :ILU:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
I 'did' want to DIY as I'm looking to sell them but I think I'll just sell them as they are as it sounds like hard work :D
I used to do wheel refurbs, but quite a few I used to either turn down, or quote a high enough price where I could then go and get them blasted and powder coated and still make a little bit of money as a go-between.
when the wheels are too bad, it is just a lot of hassle for little return.
(I still have loads of sets of alloy wheels which I need to finish, including two sets ideal for a T4 DIY refurb :D - with Tyres ;) )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can someone give me an idea of how to refurb steel wheels with surface rust please?
Might be cheaper to do what i just did.Got a set of 5 t4 steels of ebay from some chap who has had them in his garage from 2 weeks old when he put alloys on…..£35 for all 5….dont know if i was just lucky or they turn up like this regular

1 - 13 of 13 Posts