VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mainly buying a vehicle from XXXXXXXXX in Cardiff! I think someone else here viewed it too!

Lovely T4 Caravelle, nice condition, drives well, Mel, the guy who runs it was my new best friend until I drove out of the place. Now, less than a month later I've found that the ABS sensors are disconnected, it never had either the driver or passenger airbag that were advertised, the steering rack is making terrible clunking noises (only an advisory on the brand new MOT) and now it seems that the head gasket may be on the way out.

I had an experience going through the county court recently with a Merc. Vito but it took a whole year and £400 to get my money back so I won't do that again.

I hope that just once in my life I'll buy a vehicle from a dealer and be happy with it for more than a few weeks. What is it with these guys? Are they just pathological liars?

Oh, and it wasn't cheap, I paid over the odds because I thought it was a decent van.
Andy.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Mainly buying a vehicle from XXXXXXXXX in Cardiff! I think someone else here viewed it too!

Lovely T4 Caravelle, nice condition, drives well, Mel, the guy who runs it was my new best friend until I drove out of the place. Now, less than a month later I've found that the ABS sensors are disconnected, it never had either the driver or passenger airbag that were advertised, the steering rack is making terrible clunking noises (only an advisory on the brand new MOT) and now it seems that the head gasket may be on the way out.

I had an experience going through the county court recently with a Merc. Vito but it took a whole year and £400 to get my money back so I won't do that again.

I hope that just once in my life I'll buy a vehicle from a dealer and be happy with it for more than a few weeks. What is it with these guys? Are they just pathological liars?

Oh, and it wasn't cheap, I paid over the odds because I thought it was a decent van.
Andy.
always bad to hear, need rid of the rogues out there :(

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Mainly buying a vehicle from XXXXXXXXXX in Cardiff! I think someone else here viewed it too!

Andy.

You're not allowed to name and shame on here I'm afraid T:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I feel for you man, If it makes you feel any better I bought mine private before xmas and after a number of problems looks like my head gasket has gone too :GL:GL:GL

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're not allowed to name and shame on here I'm afraid T:
I'm sorry, I didn't realise. I suppose I'm just angry with myself, after having around 36 motor vehicles in my life to date, I still manage to get scammed! You'd think I'd have learnt by now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must apologise. I didn't realise that there was a policy on naming. I don't want to get in anyone's bad books. This is a brilliant and helpful forum and I should have read the terms more carefully. :(

If anyone would like to PM me feel free.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Andy.
Hi Andy,
sorry to hear of your problems,...
may I ask what checks did you / or an independent assessor carry out prior to buying the van?
did you test drive the velle before purchase?
did the velle have any service history?
what paperwork did you sign &/or what warranty was offered?
get quotes immediately to get the work repaired / rectified?
have you approached the trader and advised him of the faults you've discovered?
call & follow it up in writing with him?
speak to VOSA about the MOT station and possible redress? the ABS disconnections would of been an MOT fail, ask them?
happy to help if I can?
Robert
"A Trader"
:ILU:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andy,
sorry to hear of your problems,...
may I ask what checks did you / or an independent assessor carry out prior to buying the van?
did you test drive the velle before purchase?
did the velle have any service history?
what paperwork did you sign &/or what warranty was offered?
get quotes immediately to get the work repaired / rectified?
have you approached the trader and advised him of the faults you've discovered?
call & follow it up in writing with him?
speak to VOSA about the MOT station and possible redress? the ABS disconnections would of been an MOT fail, ask them?
happy to help if I can?
Robert
"A Trader"
:ILU:
Thanks Robert. I've been through the whole deal in the county court with another van. It was much too stressful to do again.
Trouble is with T4s, there is so much competition for good ones, there's a temptation to jump too soon.
However, this one has full service history and one owner. Reasonably low mileage (102k)
Drove beautifully when I was there and on the way home. No warranty, but then they are generally only those bought in ones that aren't worth much when it comes to it.
I have to say, I'm intimidated by this guy, I'm pretty sure that if I confront him with the details he will say that 3 weeks has gone by and you can shove it.
It's going in on Thursday for the head gasket test so I'll get them to tell me for sure if the ABS is'nt working. Then I will certainly get VOSA involved.
Trouble is, once you reject the goods you have to stop using them. Last time I had to buy another car because the court process took so long.

·
Registered
401 Posts
dude my local car parts place sells this stuff that you our in your engine and is guaranteed to repair your head gaskit A:

save you a few quid anyway....

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
I have 2 hates one are car salesmen two is estate agents . They only tell what you want to hear not the truth Scum bags.
You're not wrong about estate agents and car sales people, you could list many more, and it all comes down to those lovely qualities, dishonesty and greed, :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks Robert. I've been through the whole deal in the county court with another van. It was much too stressful to do again.
Trouble is with T4s, there is so much competition for good ones, there's a temptation to jump too soon.
However, this one has full service history and one owner. Reasonably low mileage (102k)
Drove beautifully when I was there and on the way home. No warranty, but then they are generally only those bought in ones that aren't worth much when it comes to it.
I have to say, I'm intimidated by this guy, I'm pretty sure that if I confront him with the details he will say that 3 weeks has gone by and you can shove it.
It's going in on Thursday for the head gasket test so I'll get them to tell me for sure if the ABS is'nt working. Then I will certainly get VOSA involved.
Trouble is, once you reject the goods you have to stop using them. Last time I had to buy another car because the court process took so long.
I still reckon your best course of action is to qualify the problems & associated costs then call and / or go and visit him.
The goods have to be fit for purpose - if he fails to address your problems , hassle the MOT station. They will not want the hassle and he'll hardly stop taking their calls if he has a "close" relationship with them. BUT don't give up !!

Do you have anyone local with VAGCOM?
Robert

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can't understand this no naming and shaming policy. So what if they're not on here to defend themselves, they shouldn't provide such sh!t service!

There's no rule preventing naming and praising people/companies, so everyone on here only reads the good things. This gives a very polarised view of things in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts