VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a conversion thread showing stove/hob fueled from self-sealing gas cartridges via a mini regulator. An alternative to refillable bottles. Can't find it on search though. Anybody out there got the link?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the kind of adapter I'm on about but I wanted to read the thread to see what the rationale was for going down that route, and whether it worked out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
What hob are you thinking of running the canister on? In my previous van I ran a SMEV 9222 quite happily (never tried both burners at once) with about 2 foot of orange flexible hose straight from the 8mm hob pipe to the screw in canister.
I'm sure there will be posts saying why I shouldn't have done that but it worked fine for the 2 years I had the van.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thread. Many thanks.

I'm trying to choose between your solution and mainstream CampingGaz 907 refillable. Your way means I can run propane/butane mix - handy if it gets cold. But 907 refillable probably cheaper? £8.45 per kg for 907 refill versus £11 kg (best price I can find for cartridges).

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's the thread. Many thanks.

I'm trying to choose between your solution and mainstream CampingGaz 907 refillable. Your way means I can run propane/butane mix - handy if it gets cold. But 907 refillable probably cheaper? £8.45 per kg for 907 refill versus £11 kg (best price I can find for cartridges).
My logic was:
A) disposable takes up much less space
B) its easy to carry a spare disposable, whereas if you are getting near the end of a 907 I wouldn't want to carry a spare, which probably means you will get it refilled before its totally empty, pushing the price/ kilo up.
C) 907 is expensive to buy initially if you don't have a cylinder.
D) i dont use much gas generally as if the weathers good we cook outside. In quite a few long weekend trips last summer we only used about three quarters of a 500g cartridge.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, guys,
Firstly can I plaese advice you guys NEVER EVER put the Orange flexible pipe straight onto to cooker/ hob connection, it's so bloody dangerous. You have to have the proper gas pipe and connection from the hob/cooker, then flexi to the regulator.
Secondly on a lighter note, I would always again advise people using campers etc to use propane gas, it's cleaner, and does not freeze easily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My logic was:
A) disposable takes up much less space
B) its easy to carry a spare disposable, whereas if you are getting near the end of a 907 I wouldn't want to carry a spare, which probably means you will get it refilled before its totally empty, pushing the price/ kilo up.
C) 907 is expensive to buy initially if you don't have a cylinder.
D) i dont use much gas generally as if the weathers good we cook outside. In quite a few long weekend trips last summer we only used about three quarters of a 500g cartridge.
Yes, sound logic. A neighbour has offered me a free 907 but I'm leaning towards your method. Did you fit a gas drop out vent in that van?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What hob are you thinking of running the canister on? In my previous van I ran a SMEV 9222 quite happily (never tried both burners at once) with about 2 foot of orange flexible hose straight from the 8mm hob pipe to the screw in canister.
I'm sure there will be posts saying why I shouldn't have done that but it worked fine for the 2 years I had the van.
Well, nobody has flamed you yet :)

Yes, I'm also using a Smev 9222. They only need 30 mb pressure.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Well, nobody has flamed you yet :)

Yes, I'm also using a Smev 9222. They only need 30 mb pressure.
Just wanted to add that although I ran it the way I did with no issues I'm NOT saying anyone should take my advice that it is a safe way to connect to the hob. Gas is dangerous if not connected properly and a gas dropout a must IMO.
Hope that covers me ok!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, guys,
Firstly can I plaese advice you guys NEVER EVER put the Orange flexible pipe straight onto to cooker/ hob connection, it's so bloody dangerous. You have to have the proper gas pipe and connection from the hob/cooker, then flexi to the regulator.
Absolutely. I plan to use proper pipe and leak test whichever method (cartridge or refillable cylinder) I go for.

Secondly on a lighter note, I would always again advise people using campers etc to use propane gas, it's cleaner, and does not freeze easily.
That's another vote for cartridge over 907 refillable then, since the latter only takes butane, right?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,168 Posts
That's another vote for cartridge over 907 refillable then, since the latter only takes butane, right?
Strictly, no - it's butane/propane mix, but I don't know the proportions of each.

Another solution (if you don't pay much for the cylinders) is a 904 with a 901 as a backup. I took that route as I use the 901 for a gas mantle lamp as well.

If I had known about the availability of these regulators when I was deciding about the CG cylinders, I would probably have gone the disposable route, as they take up much less space than a 907 or 904, and are a ~lot~ lighter.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Strictly, no - it's butane/propane mix, but I don't know the proportions of each.

Another solution (if you don't pay much for the cylinders) is a 904 with a 901 as a backup. I took that route as I use the 901 for a gas mantle lamp as well.

If I had known about the availability of these regulators when I was deciding about the CG cylinders, I would probably have gone the disposable route, as they take up much less space than a 907 or 904, and are a ~lot~ lighter.
You can easily swap for the cost of a new regulator (about a tenner)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts